practicing DOF, how'd i do?

What I've been using lately in lieu of Flickr has been Minus - Free Image and File Sharing which keeps all the EXIF intact. As well as gives you 10GB OF STORAGE!!! I'm strongly considering moving everything from flickr, and putting it on Minus.

How does this do with compression/post-processing your photos? I ask because it seemed like Flickr always bumped the sharpness and contrast a bit while photobucket was more lossy and washed out.

So how do you like the camera? I have a friend that has an XSi and he loves it.

What I've been using lately in lieu of Flickr has been Minus - Free Image and File Sharing which keeps all the EXIF intact. As well as gives you 10GB OF STORAGE!!! I'm strongly considering moving everything from flickr, and putting it on Minus.

How does this do with compression/post-processing your photos? I ask because it seemed like Flickr always bumped the sharpness and contrast a bit while photobucket was more lossy and washed out.

I think it does a pretty decent job. I only upload photos at 1000px on the longest edge, so that may have something to do with it. I don't notice any compression or artifacts though, which is nice. You can look through my images and tell me if they look decent to you... But as far as I can tell there's no loss in quality. tyler-d - Minus.com

PS. I think they might be making some site changes right now. I can't view my images on Minus, but I can see where my gallery should be. I was getting a 404 about 5 minutes ago. If you're able to view them, let me know.

Flickr does preserve the EXIF data. However it only preserves it on the original upload size of the photo; all of the auto resized version flickr makes lost the EXIF data. If you're uploading 1000pixel or smaller shots to flickr you should have no problem selecting "original" when choosing the size and then placing that into the forums - the EXIF will be fully intact.

Note however that you may need to have a pro-account at flickr. Flickr really only opens up as a service with a pro account - esp for sorting and accessing your photos.

I think it does a pretty decent job. I only upload photos at 1000px on the longest edge, so that may have something to do with it. I don't notice any compression or artifacts though, which is nice. You can look through my images and tell me if they look decent to you... But as far as I can tell there's no loss in quality. tyler-d - Minus.com

PS. I think they might be making some site changes right now. I can't view my images on Minus, but I can see where my gallery should be. I was getting a 404 about 5 minutes ago. If you're able to view them, let me know.

Down.
Nothing shows up.

Down.
Nothing shows up.

Yeah, that's what I figured too. The javascript login is wonky too. I'll give you guys an update when I can access my stuff again.

Down.
Nothing shows up.

Yeah, that's what I figured too. The javascript login is wonky too. I'll give you guys an update when I can access my stuff again.

It's working now.

Your next challenge would be to get both cars in focus, but not the Carmex tube. That is what others were trying to have you experiment with.

Now about the DOF preview button.

When you press it, the lens stops down to the aperture you have selected to give you a preview of the DOF to expect from the aperture you have chosen. I think you get that. So, what happened when the screen 'just got dark'? Although it got darker, looking closer notice how the background becomes more defined.

Try this: set your aperture to the smallest number
at 70mm or longer, focus on a close object with an unfocused background visible (just as you have done)
while looking through the viewfinder, push in the preview button ... Nothing happens!
Now, close the aperture down to f/8. Look at the out of focus background...it should be more defined.
If you still do not see that, try f/22 and the background should be even more defined AND the viewfinder got even darker.

If you have in your background lettering that you can clearly read, you might be able to see the difference in how clearly it can be read as you close down the aperture, eg., f/22.

The feature is working correctly. The LCD darkens because you are closing down the aperture.

I got this explanation and experiment from Understanding Exposure, 3rd edition, by Bryan Peterson, pp.57-59

Last edited:
Jay, I haven't been following along - you are coming from film going to digital? Just trying to catch up here

yes, my daughter and i both got started at christmas, with film. we shot a few rolls of color. but primarliy we shot black & white, and processed at home as well.

but it's not like we shot for years in film. we are pure beginners.

2 rolls of color and 4 rolls of black and white. each.

my 450d came in yesterday, and my daughters is due to arrive today.

Good job on the practicing. No better way to learn then just clicking and rolling the thumbwheels and clicking again and again.

That's great to hear you worked with film even if it was short lived?
Of course - I got started with film (cough, 35 cough years ago cough old guy cough)
I fought digital for a long time, too long, but I wouldn't trade what I had learned for anything
Although maybe I would trade something for someone to scan the 10's of thousands of slides I have from pre 2005.

I know I am lost in this thread by now.....sorry

Most reactions

Back