Practising Portraits #3

santoshrane

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
1st picture is right out of camera.
2nd is touched n corrected.

Story: Shot on a terrace. Posing was conscious. Chin down and as learnt from previous #1 where eyes have to be seen. Have tried to shoot a little shoulders too.

Questions : 1 - The iris has a white spot reflection of light. Is that OK? Or I could correct that in post production?
2 - was it good to vignette to hide the corners which didn't make sense?

Please give me feedback. .I want to get better.

Santosh Rane
Suunto Ambit 2
GNote 2
Samsung NX300
Merida TFS100

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1380267766171.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1380267766171.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 99
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1380267784981.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1380267784981.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 97
Don't remove the light spot it makes the eyes more interesting. Personaly I don't like vignetting but someones like it. And I think the image is too cropped from the top and the bottom. The line of hairs mustn't be cropped I guess.

just looks like a candid shot to me, but you did a good job getting a strong jaw line.

it's way too tightly cropped and the background is distracting.

I like your edits, you did a good job removing blemishes without over smoothing the skin, but I think the photo could have been stronger with more thought taken in regards of the surroundings and composition.

Some good points already mentioned. Just to emphasize, you don't want to remove that light; called a 'catchlight', that is actually a critical element to good portraiture. It's what gives the 'life' to eyes whether in photographs or paintings. Try and get them a little higher however; raise the light so that they're in a more natural "10 or 2" position. Watch your camera position; shooting down on a subject empowers the viewer and puts the subject in a subservient position.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back