Tight Knot

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.lensphotoworld.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

Here are a few macros of a pray mantis (not sure if this should be here or in the macro forum).
1a and 1b are the same but rotated.
I couldn't get him/her to co-operate for too long, so I'm pretty happy with these shots.
I would love to hear your opinions.

Thanks,

Bruce

1a.
$Pray mantis - sharp.jpg

1b.
$Pray mantis -portrait - sharp.jpg

$Pray mantis landscape looking at you babe - 2.jpg

$Pray mantis landscape looking at you babe.jpg

Attachments

• $Pray mantis - sharp.jpg
    $Pray mantis - sharp.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 160
  • $Pray mantis -portrait - sharp.jpg
    $Pray mantis -portrait - sharp.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
did you have her in a lightbox?
Nice photos. reminds me of my little guys' pet prey mantis :)

Too bad she didn't spread her wings for you .. that's awesome to see.
I watched ours do that .. but I was watching instead of taking a shot. lol

Hi astroNikon,

Nope, not in these shots. They were all taken outdoors against a white wall with bounce flash.

She did not open her wings, just sat there and stared at me, and then took off running (more like wobbling, and weaving).

Which orientation do you prefer out of 1a and 1b?

Which orientation do you prefer out of 1a and 1b?

Definitely 1b. I'd mask out that little black smudge above the thorax along the right edge.

I like 2&3 but honestly feel that it would have been so much better if the entire body was in the shot. Mantis' are great subjects, it's a shame they are not very common here.

I like 2&3 but honestly feel that it would have been so much better if the entire body was in the shot. Mantis' are great subjects, it's a shame they are not very common here.

Thanks Raj,

I agree that it would have been better with the whole pray mantis in the frame, but I was shooting on top of a 6' step ladder as close as I could get to it without startling her, and couldn't back up to get further away to keep the whole body in the shot.
Oh well, maybe next time :meh:

I prefer 1b over 1a
but I like 2 & 3 better

You should try shooting from more straight on and don't cut off limbs in the shot.

I have a bunch of closeups which include her munching on crickets. The mandibles are an interesting shot to see the detail.
I may have a few shots of her attacking a cricket too .. but they move super fast.
I'll try to accumulate some that I took and put on my Flickr in the next couple of days.
They aren't the greatest shots as it was in one of those plastic cages for hte most part.

But I love the bugs !!
thanks for sharing

I prefer 1b over 1a
but I like 2 & 3 better

You should try shooting from more straight on and don't cut off limbs in the shot.

I have a bunch of closeups which include her munching on crickets. The mandibles are an interesting shot to see the detail.
I may have a few shots of her attacking a cricket too .. but they move super fast.
I'll try to accumulate some that I took and put on my Flickr in the next couple of days.
They aren't the greatest shots as it was in one of those plastic cages for hte most part.

But I love the bugs !!
thanks for sharing

Sounds great astroNikon,
I'm looking forward to seeing them

Very nice to see and love those greens in there. Good sharp details and well done on the lighting in a tricky situation. ahhhhhh #2, love that pose.

All the best and nicely done.

Danny.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back