Pre-Order remorse?

Yeah, exactly and yeah, more like speaking out loud to hear myself. I do have the D700 and I love it and I'm sure I'll be happy if and when the D800 ships my way. :)

The D800 being too small is the reason they invented battery grips. Seriously I've thought this from every DSLR which isn't in the pro line. My pinky slips under all of them and they get painful to hold after an hour or two.

Btw Trever you're experiencing cognitive dissonance. It'll pass. It happens every time you part with more than about $100 :lol:

I think most people were hoping for a smaller/cheaper D4, much like the D700 was to the D3 line. Now that reviews are out and people are having time to realize that it's an entirely new beast, I have seen more and more of these remorses surface. Then there is also the fact that they messed with the ergonomics in a way that people either love or hate (more seem to be leaning towards hate for the reasons mentioned above).

The D800 turned out to not be what I was looking for. I just picked up a used D700 with 4800 clicks for $1800 and couldn't be happier with it. If/when I upgrade again, it will probably be to the D4, not the D800.

You should know by now whether this body is EXACTLY what you want/need which should tell you how to feel about your pre-order.

It's funny because I've been grinding my teeth over my pre-order, thinking I should buy the other body... but I bought the D4 and wonder if I should have bought the D800.

For me, though, it's the $. The D4 is going to be awesome, of course... but then so is the D800... at half the price. I could use that $3K to pick up the last lens in the trinity and have a bit leftover. (that turns out to be a lie, however... I need the grip, the batteries, bigger hard drives and a slew of memory cards to make it do what I need to do... that makes the $3000 camera more like a $4500 camera.)

Anyway, in the end I realized that if it weren't a money issue, that I'd be absolutely sticking with the D4, so I'm sticking with the D4.

This isn't relevant to you except I wonder if you can cut through whatever your anxiety is to get to the core of your requirements and just stick to that to make your ultimate decision.

The guy on this board who wanted other people to fund his trip to Iceland got a D800. He was pretty exited while waiting for delivery and he seems pretty happy with it now that he has it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back