pregnancy photos

bitteraspects

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
a friend of a friend needed some pregnancy photos since she was 4 weeks away from birth and had not one picture of herself while she was pregnant. so my cousin and i threw together a makeshift studio and did some shots for her.
please help me out with some critisizm and opinions.
thanks.

img2.jpg

img5.jpg

IMG1.jpg

img3.jpg

DSC09936.jpg

I think the last one is your strongest image. You've got some great poses and perspectives, but the lighting/white balance appears off to me. What did you use for your light set up?

My fave is #5,,, what a gorgeous belly and a beautiful keepsake.... and that lighting is great... how did you achieve it? Something about #1 doesn't do much for me... not sure if its the angle or the lambswool rug? it stands out a bit?xx I think #2 would look GREAT in b&w. Love the lighting again in 3& 4 but think it would look even better blacking out the skirt, legs and lambswool... it draws my eyes away from that beautiful belly xx keep up the good work and would love to hear your lighting secrets!!

There is something really intimate about number three, I think it has something to do with the lighting and her relaxed posture, yet there's such a sense of pride in her expression. what a wonderful treatment for your friend! An even cooler gift I think would be to compile these into a photobook for this friend, and then give them to her at a later date as a surprise! I know viovio.com offers such a service, their baby photobooks are a big seller. Something like that would be really sweet to offer. =)

In both #3 and #4 I would crop out her feet. I think they're rather distracting. Otherwise, great work!

I have to agree with Jemmy about the rug. It's distracting to me too. I would have liked to see a pose with her lying on it if you wanted to incorporate it. I really like that shirt she chose, it's very cute. I think #2 and #5 are my favorites, although I think you did a good job on all of them. I'm sure she will be pleased!
Oh and I would try converting them to B&W since it sort of looks a bit too yellow to me.

thanks for all the comments, please keep em coming. this is my first time doing studioesque shooting. as for the lighting, oddly enough, its just some crappy parlor lamp. one of those with the 3 swivel lights on it. i think i should have gotten different bulbs for it. there were 2 incandesant bulbs and one florescent which was either off or bounced the whole time. but at the same time, shes asian, so her skin yone, isnt too much different from whats portrayed in the images.

the rug, is a little distracting now that you mention it. we used it to add a little contrast to the otherwise all black shot. but i guess we could have done without it.this is just whatever we had around at the time when we were setting up our "studio", but were going to keep the spare room for a studio, so im sure were going to slowly get more things for it. like perhaps some real lights. lol

please keep em coming. i need all the help i can get.

oh, and there were a few shots of her lying on the rug, and sitting on it, but those got done before i made it to the shoot, so i missed out. :(

If Photo 3 did not include her skirt, legs and feet on that rug, I'd love that one best of the series! She is most relaxed and has this kind of "inward look", this dreamy look that can be about pregnant women. A simple crop can achieve that effect and take away the distracting bottom part, I think.

Actually, I find her legs and feet quite distracting in each and every pic in which they show.

I'm going to agree with the comments on the feet on #3 & #4. The poses and light are great and they look intimate, but I find the sheepskin distracting.

I love the last one, it'a powerful image.

Great work! :thumbup:

I love the last few in the series because she looks so playful. Great emotion there. Really wonderful job. She will love them.

Most reactions

Back