Preparing photos for print

KB2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am working on newborn photos on a wide gamut monitor, starting off in ProPhoto and have now converted to sRGB for posting to the internet. I am giving the digital images to the family so they can print them or distribute them how they would like. Realistically, they will probably be printed at Walmart, or somewhere similar.

I think I have a solid understanding of color management. I know to convert the profile for whatever device will be used for print, but since I don't know where the pictures will be printed, I'm not sure what to do. Research online has indicated that most places want sRGB files.

Out of curiosity, I took one of my pictures (converted to sRGB, embedded profile, high res...) to be printed at Meijer, a local Walmart-like store. The colors were awful. Granted, this is why pros know to print elsewhere. But everyone wants the digital image files, and I'm happy to supply them, but I want clients to be happy with their pictures, and hopefully have their prints look close to what I intend.

Back at home, I compared the print to various soft proofing setups, and this is what I found:
-Remember, my profile is already converted to sRGB
-In Proof Setup, I have selected sRGB, as that is the most information I can gather from popular printing websites and stores.
-The preview looks exactly like my print from the store.
-Preserving RGB numbers, or not, does not make a noticeable difference.

Am I missing a step in converting the image for print? Or do I have to re-edit with the proof colors turned on?

Is it correct to assume I would get the same results from a place like Shutterfly (which also only specifies sRGB)?

Do any of you give digital images to clients? How do you prepare them?

What application are you using to soft-proof?

Delivering digital files includes some pitfalls.
The customer may choose a print shop that makes less than high quality prints, or that has insufficiently trained employees.
Your customer may try to get prints made that have a different aspect ratio from the photos you delivered, and then wonder why part of the photo got cut off.
Your customer may try to have a print(s) made at a size that substantially reduces the print resolution (ppi), and then wonder why the print looks so bad.
Actually, they often think to themselves that you, the photographer, somehow screwed up.

In other words, there are aspects to having prints made of photographs most customers won't know need to be considered.

If you don't already have it, I highly recommend getting:
The Digital Print: Preparing Images in Lightroom and Photoshop for Printing

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I am using Photoshop CS6.

I understand the pitfalls of giving out the digital files. #1 being that my clients almost definitely won't be using a high quality print shop. As for aspect ratio, I give plenty of space around the edges so they can crop how they'd like without cutting off any part of the baby ;-)

Unfortunately, to be competitive in newborn photography, not offering the digital files isn't really an option (at least, that is my observation, in my area). People want to use them for birth announcements, and send to their families, or even give the digital files to their families, so everyone is paying for their own prints. I offer prints, but most want the digital files, and that doesn't really bother me. I just want to make sure I'm formatting them in the best way possible.

Since all of the basic printing places that your average person with a point and shoot camera would use seem to specify sRGB, I'm hoping that there is another conversion I can do in Photoshop that I'm overlooking. That, or maybe an action that I could run to adjust a copy of my photo in Proof mode. I have tried several pictures and they all have the same red-cast outcome, but reducing red alone won't fix it. I'll have to play with it a lot. This is why I'm hoping that there is a simpler fix that I don't yet know about.

My issue is with printing at places that do not supply an exact ICC profile. For example, this is from Shutterfly:
"All our printers are calibrated to be sRGB printers - the profile therefore for these printers is just the industry standard sRGB profiles."
I have been checking other popular printing sites and stores (popular to people who are not professional photographers). Everything I have found so far has specified only sRGB. So I would like to make a set of digital files for printing, separate from the digital files for the internet, to give to clients. Therefore, I believe I need to color correct in Photoshop with the soft proof set to sRGB. I am looking for advice from others who give their digital files to clients.

paigew - My monitor is calibrated and I have been printing on my own printer with great results. And since the sRGB soft proof I'm seeing does in fact match what I got from the store, I don't think it's a calibration issue. I am just not sure what common practice is to correct the printed image in cases like this.

I would edit to match your professional lab that you know produces good, consistent results. There is no possible way to guarantee color from a consumer lab like shutterfly, Walmart, etc. It is best to educate your clients why they should choose to purchase professional prints or at least refer them to an online lab that has a good reputation like mpix.

I agree, tell your clients why they shouldn't print at places like Walmart after paying a professional to take their photos. If they still choose to be cheap (it's seriously a savings of a couple dollars max), then it's on them

Most reactions

New Topics

Back