Preparing Pictures for Print

Rebekah5280

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When I look at an image on my computer, it looks great! When I print; good, but not great. I'm not getting what I'm seeing on my computer screen. Color-wise, I have figured out that I need my images a certain brightness/color tint ect to get the coloring right in print, but the sharpness of my pictures is still suffering! My question is:
How do you prepare your images for print?

I print out in a matte/luster finish. Should I be sharpening my images more if I am going to be printing them out? Like I said, everything looks fine on my computer, but its not translating well to print.

Here is my current work flow, in case its needed to help fix my issue: I shoot in RAW, fix any exposure issues, and sharpen if needed. I then convert to JPEG 8-bit and do finishing edits (usually just contrast and color level tweaks) in PSE9.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You should just be starting to see halos from the sharpening for print. Generally, an image that prints great does not look great on a monitor. It generally looks oversharpened. If you google sharpening for print, you will get tons of results. If you don't feel comfortable with that, pick a good lab and let them autocorrect. Just my .02.

What size do you view your images at when sharpening? I try to view at close to the physical size they will be printed at (that doesn't mean 100% in Photoshop). Not perfect, but the best approximation.

Best,
Helen

Helen ~ Good tip! Thanks! When I'm doing anything in PhotoShop I am typically zoomed in. I never thought about looking at the image close to actual print size. Thanks!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back