Presenting a portfolio

nagoshua

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I wasnt sure where to put this so change if needed.

Im gonna be applying for uni pretty soon so ive been busy all summer buying equipment and getting images for my portfolio, ive still got a lot of images i need to get but im getting there. I have one problem though, i dont have a clue what the best way to present my portfolio is, ive thought of a scrap book type thing and also buying an A3 folder and plastic inserts. Just wondering what you guys use and what you would suggest.

folder and plastic sheets would seem much more professional than a scrapbook to me if I were an admission officer. additionally, you have more flexibility for decisions.

yeah i thought that would be better, is that what most people use for their books?

I have no idea but wouldn't you want to stand above the crowd anyway?
More professional look, more flexibity.

The standard is the black folder with plastic sheets (try to get the non-glare ones). Scrapbook style is frowned upon. Arriving with your work only on CD or DVD is also frowned upon unless they have specified it in that form. Remember, your portfolio should ONLY show your best work. Don't include vacation pictures, etc. Try to stay away from the most common images, too (sunsets, close ups of flowers). Try to show what makes YOUR work unique. :)

If it were me, I would also know or have the EXIF data from each shot. Shows some understanding that knowledge and control is an important part of photography.

If it were me, I would also know or have the EXIF data from each shot. Shows some understanding that knowledge and control is an important part of photography.

Would you suggest, then, including exposure notes for film images? Darkroom notes?

I ask because I'm also planning to assemble portfolios soon.

Would you suggest, then, including exposure notes for film images? Darkroom notes?

I ask because I'm also planning to assemble portfolios soon.

Why not?
Do anything that will make you different, in a positive way, from others.
If the issue doesn't come up than, without flaunting them but finding a way to refer to them casually like, "I think that was done at f5.6 at 120th. Wait, let me look." then slide out the slip of notes from behind your picture.

Look at it from the other end of the table. What if the interviewer asks you - and you don't remember? You need to prepare as best you can and that means using everything you have to look good.

How many Photo's should be included in a portfolio?

Usually 20-40 photos are fine. But each school may have different requirements. It won't hurt to ask if they have any portfolio requirements ahead of time. :)

On the last page of the portfolio, a thumbnail of each photo with the EXIF data for each photograph would look very professional.

A successful portfolio I used emphasized variety: journalistic style, portraits, macro, scenics, public relations, graphics, creative, composites etc.

skieur

First and foremost; contact the admissions department and find out exactly what they are looking for.

20 years ago when I applied to SVA I had all my photos dry mounted. That was the best I could afford. I think it is important that they can pick the photos up and look at them. It is also important to show that you are proud enough of the work to give it the best treatment possible. Sleeves are certainly acceptable, but I have always had a strong aversion towards them. I would keep it under 20 images for sure. Generally speaking no one has that many great images. The idea is to wow them in as little time as possible. Also be sure to include a couple of contact sheets. This will explain a lot about the way you shoot.

When I had my interview it was less about the photos and more about my future in photography.

Love & bass

Most reactions

Back