Preserving unmounted, vintage slides

Tobes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all, I recently bought my first set of unmounted vintage slides. There are a few negatives and a few transparencies in the lot, remarkably still in lovely condition. Currently they are all stored between a very thin sheet of paper, which is inside an envelope, which is inside a plastic resealable bag and the bag is placed neatly in a big storage box with other purchases. Probably not the best way to store them... but it's all I could think of. I'm worried about them being damaged by the wrong storage method.

Most slides are mounted so it's been tricky to find a proper and safe storage method for unmounted film. If anyone has any suggestions on how to store vintage slides like these over the longterm without damage from environment or other wear, please feel free to reply. Thanks very much in advance. :)

I have used these products for years......all my film, I shoot or film collection goes into a protective sleeve.....
Print File | Archival Supplies | Photo Storage Products

Thanks very much for your help! Another experienced photographer/film collector also suggested Print File. Another thing they suggested was glassine sleeves. I didn't know what glassine sleeves were until they mentioned it and after checking out what they are, luck would have it they were sent in glassine sleeves and still stored in them (within the envelope and plastic sealed bag). Are glassine sleeves just as good as Print File sleeves?

From Googling 'sleeves for film', I read that acid-free is the best and also polyethylene. There are some sleeves that are made out of polypropylene but I don't know which is better/safer for storing film slides in. It's a pretty complex thing, as we want to keep our slides safe but really won't know whether we've done that until we check them out later on.

I've also read that heat can damage slides so placing them in a freezer is also good. It's pretty daunting, as it seems they can be damaged pretty easily. They're all unmounted too, so that is probably worse as far as storage options.

Thanks, Sharon. I'm checking out Lumiere Photo now and they use PrintFile's products too. What's been the best method for you, as far as storing film over longterm and maintaining its quality?

PrintFile has 35mm Negative Preservers - do storage options differ between a negative and a transparency? The size of these ones that I have are about two and a quarter inches. I'll probably take them out of the plastic bag soon as it's just a regular plastic bag.

Last edited:
PrintFile has 35mm Negative Preservers - do storage options differ between a negative and a transparency? The size of these ones that I have are about two and a quarter inches. I'll probably take them out of the plastic bag soon as it's just a regular plastic bag.

I don't like glassine's, and no differance what film you put in them. For your single 120's
6x6 up to 6x9 use these....http://www.printfile.com/120-9HB-25pack.aspx

I even use the 5x7 sleves for my Matchbox car catalog collection......:mrgreen:

Thanks to you both for your help and that's a nice collection webestang! :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back