Press Pass

you usually have to have credentials to get one i.e. you have to write for some form of press and need to show that you are paid by a credited company of some form (certified photo business, newspaper, some documentary of some type)

Press passes are issued by particular venues. For instance a baseball stadium may issue passes to a magazine or paper that is good for the whole season, or they may issue a press pass to a paper or photographer for just one day.

Here's some really good information I found that may help you out. It may not only be event or venue specific. CLICK HERE

You must request a pass from the promoter/media department running the event. And supply them with why you need a pass. Also passes or generally issued per team or event and not the venue[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]

i had the same question too. i read on thenet that a good place to start is the local newspapers. if you can get them to say 'yeah so and so is freelancing for us' then various venues will find it more believable and give u a pass

unfortunatly most papers around me dont hire freelancers

Well judging by the website there, I don't qualify, I am just starting to get real serious into photography, plus they probably wouldn't even give a pass to a 16 year old wold they? They would probably think teenagers are too high of a risk.

Well judging by the website there, I don't qualify, I am just starting to get real serious into photography, plus they probably wouldn't even give a pass to a 16 year old wold they? They would probably think teenagers are too high of a risk.

It''s not about age, it's about need. Yours and theirs. They want to get publicity so they need to have an outlet. Legitimate publications want to have news to report and need press passes to get in to get the story. At this stage you are correct, you don't qualify as you do not fit into any of the wants or needs on either side. It might be fun to be able to do so, but press passes provide a service for a service in return.

It''s not about age, it's about need. Yours and theirs. They want to get publicity so they need to have an outlet. Legitimate publications want to have news to report and need press passes to get in to get the story. At this stage you are correct, you don't qualify as you do not fit into any of the wants or needs on either side. It might be fun to be able to do so, but press passes provide a service for a service in return.

:thumbup:

my first thought was 'why would you need a press pass?' If it's because you want to get in for free, that's not exactly why they are issued. If it's because you have an outlet to publish the pics in/on, you should be able to get one. They are called press passes, because they hand 'm out to members of the press. Which, as I understand, you are not. Unfortunately it's not the best way to go if you want to 'practice' your photog skills and impress an outlet. Impress first, get a press pass later.

pascal

Last edited:
i told got one by sending a pleasant email to a music festival organiser explaining it would greatly benefit my coursework to be allowed to shoot photos from the pit at the upcoming festival

he was very nice and sent me a pass valid for one of the 3 days

Well it looks like I won't be getting one anytime soon, I will just have to get some stuff published in papers or whatever, (which shouldn't be too hard, since I live in a small town with its own paper! Actually there are 3, one of them is tiny and they are always looking for something to publish) but, we'll see how that goes. Thanks for the help guys!

Most reactions

Back