press passes. . . have one?

Sorry to stray off topic a bit but that is really interesting and sounds like it could be a great learning experience and just interesting to see how they work and everything. Can anyone do this? Would you just have to call the department and ask what their policies for ride-a-longs are? Is it the same process to get one with a fire department?

Call your local law enforcement agency and ask them. They will advise if they have such a program or not and the rules/conditions for doing so are. Be prepared to sign your life away. Most agencies I am familure with have a wavier you will have to sign basicly stating that if you get killed/injured you family can't sue. (Not real sure how it would stand up in court, but we use one. It's never been tested to my knowledge)

You will probably have to be 18 years of age. DO NOT show up with a camera unless you clear it with that department first. It can be a real eye opener for people that have never truely seen how law enforcement works. Nothing like the T.V. shows make out.

As for riding with the fire department, I do not know if they have such a thing. They function in an entirely different manner and may not have the capacity for a ride-a-long. You would just have to check it out and see.

Thanks for the information. I was expecting there would be waivers and signing your life away and such so I wasn't expecting to be able to do it until I was 18 anyways (only a few months away :)) If you do ask before hand if you can bring a camera do they tend to let you? I know I will still have to check out all this with my local department.

As for fire department it seemed to me like it would be hard to do because they never know when they have to go out and their trucks hold what they need but I've herd people talk and say they did a ride-a-long. It could have been more for an official press or media related reason tho and not just an average citizen.

i did a month long ride along with a fire dept. with a camera, just asked them personally. they were okay with it and i signed some paper work and then had to get it notarized by some city official (not just anyone)

so i would imagine most anyone can do this if you build the right relationships first. . . i think police ride alongs would be more fun though, at the fire house it was TONS of sitting around and eating.

This has been an interesting thread since I stired up the muck a bit. I just want to make an observation. For the past 230 + years we have had a continuous erosion of rights. I think anyone who has even casually studied American history would agree. First, I love this country, it's ideals and the ideals of the founding fathers. But it's undeniable at least in my mind that the 1960's was a turning point. In my opinion a lot of personal rights were abused, not be the authorities. But citizens abused the rights god and the founders gave them. Once war protesters marched on the capitol building and crew served automatic weapons were stationed at the entrances, maned by National guardsman all bets were off. The government felt the need to protect public property and the lawmakers inside. 1969 saw a sea change in laws that enacted rights restriction and we have seen a continuous spiral since. September 11th was another. The majority of us feel our personal safety is worth giving up a few rights. While I don't agree in most instances, it's a fact. I can only add that if you "think there ought to be a law", be careful of what you wish, you might get it.
BTW, I had the opportunity to be a auxiliary cop soon after my 21st birthday, did it for almost a year. In our little burg an auxiliary was an extra, unarmed uniform that rides in the passenger seat on Friday and Saturday nights. It gives the illusion that two officers are on duty. The night I was left alone in the car as the real cop investigated a "shots fires" complaint and a couple of rounds were bounced off the hood and windshield I quit. When you are personally exposed to both sides of an argument, it changes your perspective.

Thanks for the information. I was expecting there would be waivers and signing your life away and such so I wasn't expecting to be able to do it until I was 18 anyways (only a few months away :)) If you do ask before hand if you can bring a camera do they tend to let you? I know I will still have to check out all this with my local department.

As for fire department it seemed to me like it would be hard to do because they never know when they have to go out and their trucks hold what they need but I've herd people talk and say they did a ride-a-long. It could have been more for an official press or media related reason tho and not just an average citizen.

That's a good question. I don't know. Here it would be up to each bureau commanders discretion. I would tend to think not however. One reason is we have a strict ride along policy regarding news media. That must be approved by the Chief, not by the bureau commander. The second reason would be for your and the officers safety. A lot of the calls for service we get are potentially life threating situations. The officer does not have the time to watch after you and take care of the call. It is much easier to not worry about a rider if you know they are staying in the passenger seat of that patrol vehicle until you tell them they can get out. With a camera the temptation would be to step out to take pictures. It would be something to ask you local department. After all, the worse they could do is say no.

As for the fire department, I just could not say. The problem I can see with a ride along here is one of logistics. The engines are designed with a maximum crew capacity in mind. Potentially no open seats available in the vehicle.

i did a month long ride along with a fire dept. with a camera, just asked them personally. they were okay with it and i signed some paper work and then had to get it notarized by some city official (not just anyone)

so i would imagine most anyone can do this if you build the right relationships first. . . i think police ride alongs would be more fun though, at the fire house it was TONS of sitting around and eating.

Man, after a month did they make you an honorary firefighter? That would be pretty cool to be able to document a months time. I have talked to one of the battalion commanders here about going to the scene of a fire or two to shoot. He had no problem with it at all. I may have to take him up on the offer someday.

haha, no, when i'm back in the states i'll do another month. . . i missed all the big calls, or would arrive right after they left. i've got pictures of training, horseshoes, food, food, food, food. and some more food.

Most reactions

Back