Press Release Photo Pricing Help Needed

jlpeifer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I recently entered into a contract with a local corporation to take photos of their facilities, processes and products. The original contract defined the number of images to which the customer would be entitled. Of the images covered in the contract, the client is allowed full and unlimited usage.

Today I was contacted by the client inquiring about using two of my images for a press release. One of the images was part of the contract referenced above. Because they're granted full usage, this was not a problem; however, the 2nd image they want to use isn't part of the original contract (it's an extra photograph I took while I was on-site working for them).

The client requesting the photo claims that the price of "editorial use" photos is usually much lower than commercial use.

Frankly, I'm struggling with this. How much do people charge for "editorial use" only?

Because the image is to accompany a press release, it's impossible to know whether the image will actually ever make press. Additionally, because I don't know about the publications to which the release will be sent, I know nothing about potential circulation.

I had already planned on giving this client a few extra "free" images due to the size of the contract... a kind-of "Thank You!" for being such a great client and supporting my mortgage for a couple of months.

So I'm perplexed. Should I charge the client a little something for the extra image? Should I just give it to them and be content with a photo credit?

I wouldn't even bother with a credit.

Funny thing... I JUST looked in my email before coming here and I have a client asking for the same. I'll send the photo to the publication and tell my client, "Glad I could help."

If I can help my client build his business, his advertising budget will be safe. I'm sure he won't forget gesture.

-Pete

Most reactions

Back