hyakuhei

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
hyakuhei.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

I've just spent 4 hours covering an armed siege from start to finish - I have some good shots in there and I'm going to send them to the local paper.

The quality is good and I have some good angles, the staff photographers arrived but a lot had gone on before they got there.

I'm wondering if I should be asking them for some money for my shots or should I just be pleased to see them published?

Cheers
-Rob

Really, that's up to how you feel about it.
I was taking photos for an open forum type show produced for MPR (Minnesota Public Radio) - I was doing it as my way of donating something back, not charging.
Well, lo and behold, at the end of the season, they had some money left over and sent me a check to thank me, so I had the best of both worlds. You never know when donating your time will lead to a few bucks in your pocket down the road - I tend to err to the side of 'free' with news organizations.

You could try and finesse the shots into an official position as a free lance photographer complete with press pass.

Unless you have something that's really dramatic I wouldn't think you would be paid all that much. I would insist on having credit for the photo though.

You could try and finesse the shots into an official position as a free lance photographer complete with press pass.

Thats what I would do. Then they know you, and know what kind of pictures that you take. Plus a press pass is just awesome! I am trying to get one from the local station down here.

After taking the advice on this thread I emailed the shots to the paper, with a polite note expressing my interest in doing some freelance work for them in future. I didn't get a response to my email so imagine my surprise when a week later there were 3 of my shots (1 front page) in the paper! Great huh? Well actually, No. I was more than a little annoyed because the paper hadn't given me credit for the images!

I emailed the paper as soon as I got home from the paper shop, I pointed out that they didn't credit me and asked them about freelance work once again (I was a little pissy!).

Long story short, they are crediting me for the shots in the next issue and paying me for them. Since writing that email I have also done two freelance jobs for the paper and should have more to come!

So it was a little bumpy but now I'm working as a part time freelancer! Great result, thanks for the advice guys!

Well that should show you for next time DO NOT WORK FOR FREE!!!. The best way to approach this if you have pics like this in the future is to tell them exactly what you said in the post "I have pics your photographers do not have what I have here is what I charge". But I am sure as you have found out already they have a going rate for an assignment and that is what you get. So at least now you know what to charge if this happens again.

I would agree with JIP. Every photograph has value, if they are paying photographers to get shots and then someone comes along and starts doing it for free just to see it published why would they continue to pay the other guy?

Most reactions

Back