Price drop.. Sandisk Extreme Pro 32gb SDHC

You can purchase the new SanDisk 280MB/s cards right now direct from SanDisk SanDisk US Online Store

If the 95 mb/sec cards sell for 75% less than the msrp on amazon and elsewhere, should we then assume the 250 mb/sec cards will be about the same price once they get to store, considering SanDisk is selling them for the same price?

The 64GB 250mb/sec card is listed at $300. the 64GB 95mb/sec is listed at $338.99 and sells for $110 on amazon.
The 32GB 250mb/sec card is listed at $199. the 32GB 95mb/sec is listed at $188.99 and sells for $50 on amazon.

Last edited:
Hmm... doing a bit of research here, the new card is based on the UHS-II standard, whereas the D5200 is rated as UHS-I compliant, so I'm wondering if you'd really see the speed benefit to the newer card using the camera's older card slot or if their might even be compatibility issues. I would imagine the would probably make the card to understand the older UHS-I standard but the UHS-I I think is only rated for a top end speed of 104 mb/s.

Yup.. going to have to do a bit more research here.

Nikon does not make a camera that supports UHS-II yet... :(

Well you might want to hold off actually, been doing some more reading and it sounds like the UHS-II format is not backward compatible with UHS-I, so from what I'm reading I don't think they would be compatible with the camera. I haven't confirmed it for certain yet but that does appear to be a real possibility.

UHS-II is backwards compatable with UHS-I... The SD card specification dictates this.

When you look at the cards, you'll notice a new pin layout to support the UHS-II bus interface. While the typical row of SD card pin connections are still present, there is now a second row of pins used exclusively to read and write UHS-II signals. The first row of connectors is still used for normal speed, high speed, and UHS-I signals, meaning the cards are backwards compatible with all SDHC/SDXC host devices, albeit without UHS-II performance.

IMHO... its a waste of money to buy the UHS-II cards for existing cameras.

I've got one 64 GB and one 16 GB - honestly the 64 GB Is more than I can generally fill in one day, and since I transfer everything off as soon as I get home I haven't needed much more than that at this point. Wouldn't buy anything other than the Sandisk Extreme Pro though myself. Just makes a huge difference over the standard 30-40 mps Class 10 cards.

Generally fill in one day? Are you shooting video too?

ya had to poke the bear,didn't ya??

Bear "

robbins.photo looks like a gorrilla to me ... or i have to get my glasses checked really badly

don't poke the gorrilla !! :)

B and H has them listed sandisk 280 | B&H Photo Video
75, 130, 245 I'm gonna wait and see if the D7100 can write any faster to these than the 95 mb/s Sure would be nice to get a few more frames...

Upgrading to this card has made a world of difference in the speed it takes for my camera to save both RAW and JPG formats.
w.png
The card is fast and allows me to shoot at high speed without worrying about the buffer slowing me down. What a difference the data transfer rate of this card can make.

Upgrading to this card has made a world of difference in the speed it takes for my camera to save both RAW and JPG formats.
w.png
The card is fast and allows me to shoot at high speed without worrying about the buffer slowing me down. What a difference the data transfer rate of this card can make.

The problem is the camera's themselves support UHS-I, which I believe has a max write speed of 104 mps, so even though the card would go faster in a UHS-II compatible slot, it won't be in a UHS-II compatible slot. As a result I think it would most likely top out at the top end speed of UHS-1, which really wouldn't be much faster than the 95 mb/s card I have now.

Finally got my Extreme Pro in.

Measurable results:

fwiw, if I shoot on JPG - FINE, I can hold it down indefinitely with the Extreme Pro. Those RAW files were 26MB each.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally got my Extreme Pro in.

Measurable results:

fwiw, if I shoot on JPG - FINE, I can hold it down indefinitely with the Extreme Pro. Those RAW files were 26MB each.

Pretty much same results I have with the 95 mps Extreme pro, JPG I can shoot pretty much indefinately even at 5 FPS, my best results with RAW are to shoot RAW only and switch to 3 FPS, I can usually get about 12-14 frames at 3 FPS and then the camera will slow to 2 FPS until I left off the release and give it a second to catch up again. Works pretty well overall.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Back