Price for newbie photos...??

Artograph

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
:blushing::blushing::blushing::blushing::blushing::blushing::blushing::blushing::blushing::blushing::blushing::blushing::blushing::blushing::blushing::blushing::blushing::blushing::blushing::blushing::blushing::blushing::blushing::blushing::blushing::blushing::blushing::blushing::blushing::blushing::blushing:

A couple of friends and I are entering a craft show (I know..:confused:...cringe!!). But you have to start somewhere...right??!!! :blushing:

Anyway...what kind of pricing does one ask for photos in frames??? I mean sure it takes time, a camera and effort....but the prosessing prints isn't that expensive. What do I charge for a 5x7....or an 8x10...with or without a frame??? Do I need to sell the photo with a mat....or mat and frame....or just the photo....???? :blushing:

Also, am I crazy to think that *I* can sell my photos to other people when I have so very little experience and knowlegde....but some really nice shots ...that people are already ordering from me!!! (Well, obviously I can I guess...I just feel kind of....um....like a fake???!!!) LOL!! ;)

:hail: Thank you, thank you!!!

There is no correct answer here...except maybe to say that you should charge as much as you can get for them...up to a point where the price is too high and you make less money...the law of diminishing returns.

One one hand, if they are cheap, it's hard to make any real money...but also, people may think that they are no better than post cards. If you charge more, then people will believe that they have value and will pay that higher price.

As for what to sell...that depends...maybe you need a whole range of products. This is something that you will figure out over time. I'd bet that if you asked people who do this often, they will tell you that it take time to figure everything out.

I've seen & heard of people having good success selling 4x6 prints for a few dollars, 5x7 for a little more and 8x10s for a little more. Although, you can greatly increase the sale price if you add something...like a matte. So while you might sell an 8x10 for $20, you could add a $3 matte and charge $40 or $50.

Framed prints can also sell well...but often, actually having a bunch of large framed prints with you, isn't convenient. So you need to be a salesman and get the customers to order a large print from you...which you can send or deliver later.

What I have seen, that really works...is having a large print, in a nice frame, hanging up for people to see. They come to the booth and see the image...and your price for a framed (maybe signed and numbered) is quite high, maybe several hundred dollars. However, they really like the image and so you sell them an 8x10 print of the same image, for $30 etc.

Thanks so much Mike!! Can you help me with a few other questions?? How do I present a photo with the matte?? Do I need to get the plastic covering, and where does one get that!!???

If I sell 4x6s, 5x7s and 8x10s do I just print off several "extra" copies and sell them just like that. And printing them at a regular old film developing place will do the trick....even if it says "Fuji Film" all over it????

I'd like to appear somewhat "professional"!!!

Thanks again!!!!

P.S. ...I'm so glad you didn't laugh at me!!!!! LOL!!

Thanks so much Mike!! Can you help me with a few other questions?? How do I present a photo with the matte?? Do I need to get the plastic covering, and where does one get that!!???

If I sell 4x6s, 5x7s and 8x10s do I just print off several "extra" copies and sell them just like that. And printing them at a regular old film developing place will do the trick....even if it says "Fuji Film" all over it????

I'd like to appear somewhat "professional"!!!

Thanks again!!!!

P.S. ...I'm so glad you didn't laugh at me!!!!! LOL!!

If you're in the US, you can order your bags from http://clearbags.com and your mats from http://ezmats.com (both of which I order from all the time). Do not use mats that have any dings or scratches on them. Do not use any bags that are creased. Those kinds of things scream amateur. Don't just put your prints into a cardboard box. Find something sturdier and better looking. Lots of organization-type plastic boxes work well. Eventually, you'll want to get some nice print racks if this is something you want to do more often. Do you have a pavilion (the tent you see at all craft fairs) or is this going to be inside? Do you have a table that you can use? Do you have a way of advertising your name (banner, display, etc)? Most people like the prints to be matted with a backing board. And they want everything to be archival, meaning it is acid-free. You can get acid-free tape and double sided tape for securing the backing board to the mat from your local art/craft store. Place your business card with double-sided tape on the back of the backer board, so people will have contact information in case they want something else. Provide loose business cards on your table. Have you thought about doing photo greeting cards (blank inside)? Those are usually the best sellers at craft shows. In our art gallery, 8x10 and 11x14 matted prints are our best sellers. The 5x7's and smallers just don't sell. Remember to order bags for the size mat, not the size print. ;) Does the craft fair require you to provide insurance? If outside, do they require you to provide weights for the pavilion? Where you sign your print is up for debate. Some sign it on the backer board. Some sign the back of the print itself, while others sign it on the front of the mat on the bottom right. Others sign directly on the print. How will you take payment? Just cash/checks? Or do you have a way to take credit cards? Where will you place your extra cash to use as change? It's easy for one person to distract you while another runs off with your cash box. I prefer to wear a little zippered belly pouch. Do you have someone who can watch the booth while you run off for bathroom breaks? Some craft shows have "booth watchers" for that, so make sure you check. I'm sure I've overwhelmed you enough right now. Let me know if you have more questions. :)

For my wedding prints, i sell 5x7's for $6 and 8x10's for $12, thats just prints though. my gallery work goes for 20 times that so it really depends on who your selling to.

Thank you so much guys!!! I really, really appreciate all of your help....and you have all certainly been helpful!!!! :O)

I'm going to try to absorb this all....I just might be back with more questions!! ;O)

I've seen & heard of people having good success selling 4x6 prints for a few dollars, 5x7 for a little more and 8x10s for a little more. Although, you can greatly increase the sale price if you add something...like a matte. So while you might sell an 8x10 for $20, you could add a $3 matte and charge $40 or $50.

Framed prints can also sell well...but often, actually having a bunch of large framed prints with you, isn't convenient. So you need to be a salesman and get the customers to order a large print from you...which you can send or deliver later.

What I have seen, that really works...is having a large print, in a nice frame, hanging up for people to see. They come to the booth and see the image...and your price for a framed (maybe signed and numbered) is quite high, maybe several hundred dollars. However, they really like the image and so you sell them an 8x10 print of the same image, for $30 etc.

Big Mike, first off, I have to say that idea with the one large, expensive, framed print is brilliant! Love it!

Now, that being said, I have a question about your advice of matting the prints to boost the value. I'm a little confused - I was always under the impression that matting was something you did under the glass of a frame.... but it sounds like you're suggesting selling the picture with just a matte. How does that work? Doesn't the matte need a frame to hold it in place?

Big Mike, first off, I have to say that idea with the one large, expensive, framed print is brilliant! Love it!

Now, that being said, I have a question about your advice of matting the prints to boost the value. I'm a little confused - I was always under the impression that matting was something you did under the glass of a frame.... but it sounds like you're suggesting selling the picture with just a matte. How does that work? Doesn't the matte need a frame to hold it in place?

Actually, all prints should be matted when they are for sale. It keeps them from bending and warping. The print is taped to the mat with acid-free "artist tape", which is easily removed should the person want to put it in a different mat. A backer board is then affixed to the mat using "ATG" tape, which is a thin, double sided acid-free adhesive. Obviously, this is applied only to the mat and the backer, and not on the back of the print itself. Then, the entire unit is placed into an acid-free clear bag, which prevents scratches, fingerprints, etc from ruining the print. :) This also allows you to put your mats into a box or print rack and the customer can thumb through them without you cringing and worrying they are going to ruin the print. It also makes the print stand out more, depending on the color of mat chosen. In our gallery, most of the artists use black or white mats, but a few use ones with some color. Another artist, who shoots mostly leaves, has a subtle leaf design on the mat as well!

Actually, all prints should be matted when they are for sale. It keeps them from bending and warping. The print is taped to the mat with acid-free "artist tape", which is easily removed should the person want to put it in a different mat. A backer board is then affixed to the mat using "ATG" tape, which is a thin, double sided acid-free adhesive. Obviously, this is applied only to the mat and the backer, and not on the back of the print itself. Then, the entire unit is placed into an acid-free clear bag, which prevents scratches, fingerprints, etc from ruining the print. :) This also allows you to put your mats into a box or print rack and the customer can thumb through them without you cringing and worrying they are going to ruin the print. It also makes the print stand out more, depending on the color of mat chosen. In our gallery, most of the artists use black or white mats, but a few use ones with some color. Another artist, who shoots mostly leaves, has a subtle leaf design on the mat as well!

Very cool, thanks for the info.

OK guys soooo......can/should I sell prints without mats....or does that look too cheap???

I thought I might be able to (A) sell some prints alone, (B) some with mats and (C) have at least one print in a nice frame to really show how nice they look in a frame!!

Also....If I sell the print in a mat do I have to shrink wrap it??? (Just trying to keep cost down---BUT, I don't want to come off as looking cheap!!) LOL!

;O)

Thank you so much...I appreciate all the info! :O)

I think that that I would stay away from selling prints alone, I think that mated prints have a better appeal and give you a more serious image. And although It would be expensive, a 20x30 print mated and framed would be a great attention grabber. Have you different prints numbered and have an order form ready, so If a person would like to order a large print they can use the form to order the print by its number, then select, print only, mating, or mat an framed. Possibly mat and frame options.

OK guys soooo......can/should I sell prints without mats....or does that look too cheap???

I thought I might be able to (A) sell some prints alone, (B) some with mats and (C) have at least one print in a nice frame to really show how nice they look in a frame!!

Also....If I sell the print in a mat do I have to shrink wrap it??? (Just trying to keep cost down---BUT, I don't want to come off as looking cheap!!) LOL!

;O)

Thank you so much...I appreciate all the info! :O)

You can get 100 8x10 bags at clearbags.com for $10 or 100 11x14 bags for $15. ;) Using nice bags keeps your work from looking cheap. You should ALWAYS sell your prints in a bag, matted or not. It keeps the work from getting fingerprints and scratches. If you can't afford to do the matted look, make sure you at least put a sturdy piece of cardboard in the bag behind the print to keep it from creasing or bending.

Interesting thread. Should you sign the print? If so, where? On the print or on the mat?

Guess you didn't read through my big block of text up there (I don't blame ya, hee hee):

Where you sign your print is up for debate. Some sign it on the backer board. Some sign the back of the print itself, while others sign it on the front of the mat on the bottom right. Others sign directly on the print.

Most reactions

Back