Price for stock?

SLOShooter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.noimagination.com
I just got contacted about using some of my landscape shots as stock in a local Realtor's website.

What do people normally charge for stock and what do you define as the use for said charge?

Thanks in advance.

ehhhh... good luck with this one. Realtors do a lot of thier own snapshot photos of properties and often times don't recognise the value of a professional photograph.

I think there is a thread here somewhere dealing with a similar question. This can depend on how your image is to be used (inside or on cover of a publication), what size, how often and how many. A stock house charges this way and will negociate prices. Since yours is for a web site, you won't have to turn over a high res file.

I recently shot a photo for a law office site. They used it as a banner across the top of the page. I got $200, but did have to go create the image... not one from my files.

I hope this helps.

-Pete

For local companies I usually charge between $100 and $300 per image. For $100 they can use the image in one publication ( a brochure, a website, a TV commercial, stock report, etc...). For $300 they can use it in multiple publications in the same project (on the website, in the brochure, and in the TV commercial). If I'm talking to some one from the east or west coast, the price doubles (and they still think they are ripping me off).

Thanks for the info guys. I think thoose prices are very fair. The only thing that I am worried about is the designer thinking that they have purchased the image and that they can now use it for any purpose.

Do I just take it on faith that they will only use this photo for the website?

SLOShooter said:
...I am worried about is the designer thinking that they have purchased the image and that they can now use it for any purpose.

Do I just take it on faith that they will only use this photo for the website?

You pretty much have to. But in this case, you should give them a 72 dpi file, jpg. They won't be printing much from that.

Good luck!

I guess I'll just wait to hear back from the designer on what the intended purpose will be and then I can give them an image with just enough resolution to get the job done but not so much that it will be print quality.

SLOShooter said:
I can give them an image with just enough resolution to get the job done

That's what I try to do. I mention that I am not selling them the copyright. As squirrelly as art directors are, most are professional, and understand the importance of copyright. There are always going to be bad apples, but I think ( hope ) that most folks are basically honest. I think you have to operate under that assumption until you have proof otherwise.

Most reactions

Back