price for use agreement for non-profit

eseljay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm an amateur photographer recently approached by a non-profit institution to sell a few of my photos for use on their website. I've never really sold photos before. What is a fair price/use agreement for me to propose to them? They are a non-profit but are definitely not hurting for money.

Thanks!

PS - I searched the forum for this topic but didn't find anything answering what I was looking for. Apologies if it has been asked before.

May I also ask:
What did the pictures cost you to make?
What are these pictures of?

They're candid/street photography shots so I wouldn't say they cost me anything beyond the equipment I used at the time (ranging from cheap point and shoot through 5Diii). There are various photos but they're generally of humanitarian/aid work themes. For example, one is of a dilapidated structure in a refugee camp.

OK thanks, I just thought it's pertinent to ask what any costs were and also to clarify if you need a release, or if other people may feel entitled to something from the transaction.

The use licensing fee for only web use would depend on the pixel size the non-profit wants the photos to be on their web site.
There would be an additional 1 time creative fee charge.

FWIW - I charged non-profits the same as a for profit company.
If I wanted to make a personal contribution to the non-profit I did so separately from the business transaction.

So, $35 for 3 months of non-exclusive web site only use up to 400 x 400 pixels - per photo.
Or $125 for 1 year of web site only use up to 400 x 400 pixels - per photo.
If they wanted use for a second year, year 2 would be $100 for 1 year of web site only use up to 400 x 400 pixels - per photo.

So the total per photo for 2 years of use at up to 400 x 400 pixels would be $225.

Thanks, Keith! That was just what I was looking for. Super helpful.

When it comes to photography there is no such thing as non-profit. I get requests all the time, they assume that I will be more than happy to give pictures away for free simply because they claim to be non-profit. No one really works for free.

Many don't know that non-profits in the US are actually allowed to make a profit, and most do.
However, they don't call profit, profit. They call it surplus.

Check out how much the non-profit pays in salaries. Employees of non-profits don't work for free.

When it comes to photography there is no such thing as non-profit. I get requests all the time, they assume that I will be more than happy to give pictures away for free simply because they claim to be non-profit. No one really works for free.

Exactly. Just because the NPO can't show a profit at the end of the FY, doesn't mean it doesn't have money to spend.

Many don't know that non-profits in the US are actually allowed to make a profit, and most do.

Check out how much the non-profit pays in salaries. Employees of non-profits don't work for free.

We most certainly do not lol

For reference: The NFL is "non-profit". Their HQ is on Park Ave in midtown Manhattan, an they pay their CEO $30,000,000/year.

For reference: The NFL is "non-profit". Their HQ is on Park Ave in midtown Manhattan, an they pay their CEO $30,000,000/year.

And the NFL commissioner made $44.2 MILLION last year. He's also part of the "non-profit."

We most certainly do not lol
If you work for free - you're not an employee.

Most reactions

Back