price guideline help

dak1b

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been shooting as a hobbyist photographer for about 3 years. I'm just breaking into event photography and tying to get some price rates down. I was thinking on starting around $100/hr.... two hr min which includes: all images edited (in lightroom), a disc of all the photos + an online gallery. Does that sound about right?

Any advice would be much appreciated! :thumbup:

Most event photography is done on the speculation that event attendees will purchase photos of themselves.

Consequently a lot (a lot) of event photographers print and sell on site. They do so to tap into the excitement of the event and the impulse buy.

Event attendees don't have to buy what they, and all their friends and family, can see (copy) in an online galley.

Good luck with your new venture. :thumbup:

Starting & Managing a Business | SBA.gov

www.SCORE.org

Ya....do you think my pricing is about right for the service I'm offering? CD with images + edited + online gallery...

thanks!!

I know this isn't what you're looking for, but you need to work on photographing people before you start trying to sell. Your other work (city/landscape, still life) is quite nice though.

Wether its enough depends on if if covers all of your expenses. what are the bills you need to cover? you can do a search for cobd calculaters to help fill in the blanks of yoru cost to figure out how much you need to charge. I would also do some research to see what event photographers in your area are charging so that you can be competitive. what one person charges could be completly diffrent from soneone else just based on there location and cost of living.

I know this isn't what you're looking for, but you need to work on photographing people before you start trying to sell. Your other work (city/landscape, still life) is quite nice though.

If the birthday event on Flickr is representative of your people / event work... you are not ready! I see a lot of underexposure / overexposure, and very inconsistent skin tones / editing. Need to work on your lighting skills! You will also need better lenses for any indoor event photography.. those F4's won't cut it!

I was trying to point out that I don't think your business model -"$100/hr.... two hr min which includes: all images edited (in lightroom), a disc of all the photos + an online gallery."- is viable.

What about your business model would be of benefit to the event organizers, to the tune of $200 minimum?

Ya I know...I've been going to friends events and getting experience before I market myself. thanks!! :)

If the birthday event on Flickr is representative of your people / event work... you are not ready! I see a lot of underexposure / overexposure, and very inconsistent skin tones / editing. Need to work on your lighting skills! You will also need better lenses for any indoor event photography.. those F4's won't cut it!

Ya...that was one of my first events...more of a rush job but ya I know I need some work. I will have to brush up on my lighting/people skills and ya I figured the f/4 won't work well indoors i wud need the 2.8....i would try and focus on more outdoors events with the lens I have.

I was trying to point out that I don't think your business model -"$100/hr.... two hr min which includes: all images edited (in lightroom), a disc of all the photos + an online gallery."- is viable.

What about your business model would be of benefit to the event organizers, to the tune of $200 minimum?

Yes, I wouldn't word it exactly like that....so your saying I shouldn't have a min price and just go on an hr basis?

What rights come with the photos? what size? resolution?

Ya...that was one of my first events...more of a rush job but ya I know I need some work. I will have to brush up on my lighting/people skills and ya I figured the f/4 won't work well indoors i wud need the 2.8....i would try and focus on more outdoors events with the lens I have.

Your knowledge is completely flawed. You really need to research aperture and it's effect on DOF.

I'm not trying to discourage, just personally don't think you're ready in terms of photography skills.

You sell 4x6 prints for $0.37? Oh my word.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back