Price of "kits"

surfingfireman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello again.

I have been scanning through some camera magazines and noticed the ads for all sorts of photography equipment at the back. There are numerous offers for kits that include: camera body, lense(s), case, tripod, cleaning kit, and film. How is it possible for these kits to be so cheap. For example one company offers a Nikon N75 kit with Tamron 28-300 lense and the other stuff mentioned above for for $409.99. In the same add you can find that camera body offered for 199.99 and that lense for 264.99 without all the little gadgets. And if a cheaper camera body is used in the kit, like a Minolta Maxxum 3 with same Tamron lens, you can get the whole deal for $239.99 . Less then the lense by itself! Now does this mean you are getting lower qualitly equipment, like grey market stuff or something? Or are you getting different or older models of the lenses?

This has been confusing me for ages because I have been tempted to upgrade my equipment but I thought something seemed fishy with these prices. But now I may just hold out and go digital... choices, choices.

Thanks.

Mike

the major expense with any rig is in the lens. a tamron is a so-so lens, thereby reducing the overall kit cost. further, they deduct a percentage as a 'kit' price.

Motcon,

I realize Tamron is lower quality lense then say a Canon or Nikon, but these kit prices could also include Canon or Nikon lenses (a 24-105 or a 28-80 and 70-210) with the Canon or Nikon body for MUCH cheaper then buy them individually. But as far as you can tell, there isn't any kind of scam going on?

Thanks for the info.

Mike

no, i'd say no scam. i'll also remind you that canon and nikon both make some really inferior lenses about equal to tamron in quality.

get the specifics on the lens and i'll tell ya how it is.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back