price of Nikkor 70-300mm

RedDevilUK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How much would be a reasonable price for a
Nikkor 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 G Lens in the UK

i have seen one for £115, is that cheap?

just seen them on sale for £150... the VR version was £339 !!!
thats a big jump to justify the extra VR feature

£115 sounds about standard. An equivalent Tamron or Sigma would probably be slightly less. I agree with you that £339 is a lot of money to ask just for the added VR feature. Unless it's a much better optical design than the non-VR lens (and I don't see why it would be) I think personally I'd avoid it and instead either go for the non-VR version as a cheap tele zoom, or spend the extra but on something like a 70-200mm f/4 which would be a better lens.

Just been looking at the Sigma? that is £79
and there is a Tamron one too £75

are they just as good as the nikon version?? you often see the same lens made by all 3, is there any noticable difference in the end Photo?

what i wanted to do today... was buy a 70-300mm to add to my 18-70mm.
and i was also going to buy some Kenko extension tubes for macro work.
i was also thinking about, a 2x tele extender... although i dont know much about these? any comments

I owned the 70-300mmG lens and it was nowhere near sharp at any f-stop or any focal range. I just ordered the 70-300mm VR lens. And according to the reviews it is much better optically than the old version. I will give you my thoughts on it when I recieve it on Mon. But like I said all the reviews say it is a great lens. Ken Rockwell, yes I know his word isn't worth much with most people, says that optically the 70-300mm VR is much sharper and has a lot less distortion than the 18-200mm VR that people are flocking to. Hopefully when I get it it will live up to the reviews.

how do you find your Sigma 28-300mm?

i see the Sigma 28-300mm DG f/ 4-5.6 for £79 and think its cheap.. im very tempted

the reason for this is that when i bought the D80 with the 18-70mm it was great for most things... but when i went out shooting wildlife etc, i soon found its limitations.
my friend has the Nikkor 300mm (same spec) and he is getting much better shots on his D40.. i borrowed it and liked it :)

i was just wondering if there is a big difference in quality between Nikon, Sigma or Tamron.

I think the Sigma 28-300mm is a scam. Here's why, I have racked the Sigma out to 300mm and taken a picture and then taken my Nikon 70-300mm and racked it all the way out and taken the same picture and noticed the the Sigma doesn't get me near as close as the Nikon. Which it should because they are both 300mm lenses(on a 35mm camera). As far as the performance, to be honest my 18-55mm kit lens is sharper than the Sigma at the lower end and it is just as soft as the 70-300mm Nikon at the upper end. The only difference is that the Sigma is slower at the top end then the Nikon. The AF is faster but that is about it. The only time I really use it is when I am going to be taking pictures of stuff that doesn't really matter and I don't want to carry more than one lens. For instance when I am taking snapshots of friends at the gun range. But other than that it sits around. And now that I am getting the 50mm 1.8 and the 70-300mm VR I probably won't ever use it.

As for the difference between Nikon, Sigma, and Tameron, I am still to new to give a really experienced answer. I can tell you this though, I have spoken to experienced people and they have told me that there are Sigma lenses that will blow away Nikon lenses and there are Tamaron lenses that will blow them both away. On that same note there are lenses from Nikon that are better than both, and so on and so on. It really depends on the specific lens you are looking at by a specific manufacturer.

How much would be a reasonable price for a
Nikkor 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 G Lens in the UK

i have seen one for £115, is that cheap?

just seen them on sale for £150... the VR version was £339 !!!
thats a big jump to justify the extra VR feature
The VR version also has some ED glass.

Ummm doesnt sound good then.

maybe i would be better sticking to nikon then, or maybe wait and buy the VR

On Mon. I get my 70-300mm VR I will take some pictures with it while hand holding it at different focal lengths. I will also post up 100% crops for you if you would like.

sounds like a plan :)

i will buy the Macro extention tubes for now, and then maybe get the VR in a couple of weeks ;)

Most reactions

Back