Pricing for a shoot?

vwmatt26

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I'm new in the photography world and love everything about it, But I recent was contacted to take some picture's for my friends salon that they can use in a magazine. Only problem is what in the world would I charge and what are some procautions I might want to take in the way of paperwork and such. All advice would help thanks a lot.

A contract is a good start.

You will be selling them a use license and need some additional information:

1- Is this local, national or international

2- How many will be printed up

3- 1/4 page, 1/2 page or full page

4- Is this for the cover, inside front cover, inside with the text, inside back cover or back cover

5- How long will you require use of image

Local cost less than national, costs less than international.
5,000 printed costs less than 50,000 printed.
Full page costs more than 1/2 page, costs more than 1/4 page.
Cover costs more than inside front cover, costs more than back cover, costs more than insdide back cover, costs more than inside with text.
Blah, blah, blah.
Commercial photographers use software like fotoQuote Pro 6 to price photography. The value varies by location.
You can find some tutorials on use licensing at www.ASMP.org

It is a tri state magazine and its going to be through out the magazine 1/4, 1/2 and full page shots. It is going to be shots of people's hair throughout the magazine. So would it be like one time fee or would i make profits for each magazine printed?

And what would be my best bet going about making or having someone make a use license or contract

How many copies of the magazine will be printed?

I guess you didn't click on the ASMP link I provided you.

Pricing Guides | American Society of Media Photographers is their pricing guide,

and Photography Business Management Software, Stock Photo Pricing Guide and Image Keywording from Cradoc fotoSoftware is where you can find out about the fotoQuote Pro 6 pricing software.

An attorney familiar with the business of photography (intellectual property rights) is a good source for contract and use license authorship.

Edit: Added information.

I charge a creative fee for my time and talent and the use licensing is separate. The creative fee may be a percentage of the media buy budget.

I bill the client on a line item basis for any other expenses I incur, like rental for my camera/lighting equipment (that compensates me for the wear and tear on it), post processing, DVD's , messenger service, catering, talent/models (if any), parking fee's, etc.

When an inexperienced business person does business with an experienced business person, the inexperienced business person gets some experience.

Who will be paying you? The salon owner or the magazine?

Last edited:
So I'm new in the photography world and love everything about it, But I recent was contacted to take some picture's for my friends salon that they can use in a magazine. Only problem is what in the world would I charge and what are some procautions I might want to take in the way of paperwork and such. All advice would help thanks a lot.
horse-cart.jpg

Make sure your skill set is up to par first.

Most reactions

Back