pricing for image in national magazine

mfpow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, ive been shooting event photography for a company and i charge a flat rate for their events. However, they now want to use one image to run in a very large national magazine as advertisement for their venue.
I have no idea how much to charge??? The ad, which consisits of my photo with graphics and texts on it, will be run in a mag that everyone has heard of in 10s of thousands of issues.
help????! =)
Thanks,
Matt

Are you talking about one time use? Meaning the image will be in just that one issue?
Whats the name of the magazine?

Most magazines will tell you what the pay. Check to see if they have a website. If they do, there should be somewhere on there that says something about freelance or photographers guidelines. In it they will tell you what they pay.

If not let me know.

Most magazines will tell you what the pay. Check to see if they have a website. If they do, there should be somewhere on there that says something about freelance or photographers guidelines. In it they will tell you what they pay.

Magazines will tell you what they pay for editorial work, but if I understood this correctly this is being used for an ad, so it's being bought by the client, not by the magazine. Editorial and commercial work is very often priced differently.

What I would find out instead is what they are paying for the ad in the magazine. That way you get a good pointer on how much money they are spending on this campaign, and that could be a good helper in deciding what to charge.

Magazines will tell you what they pay for editorial work, but if I understood this correctly this is being used for an ad, so it's being bought by the client, not by the magazine. Editorial and commercial work is very often priced differently.

ooops! :blushing:

Very true! You are right. I deal with magazines.I Need to pay more attention before running my mouth.. or in this case running my fingers LOL.

Sorry mfpow. Good advice dipstick.

The creative director of the company i am shooting for is essentially asking me how much i am charging them for the photo to run in this way, full-page, one-time use.
I'm not comfortable asking him how much they are being charged to advertise in the mag. We just don't have that relationship.
the magazine is Men's Book.

oops forgot to say thanks to John and dipstick.

Maybe someone here will send you a private message and tell you what they charge for the type work you are doing. Someone not in direct competition . It will also help to keep you from devaluing the market by undercharging (by a lot).

I don't have the answer but I'd have thought that the size of the image makes a difference. If it's a full page colour ad near the beginning of the magazine than it seems to me a very different matter from a black and white thumbnail in the classified section (I don't know the magazine, so forgive me if they don't have a classified section, but you get the gist of what I am trying to say).

I do think asking about the context of the image and the size of it is not going to upset them. And you should find out if they want to buy rights to use the image in all their advertisements or if it's just for this one image. And what about if they frepeat the advert?

I'm not comfortable asking him how much they are being charged to advertise in the mag. We just don't have that relationship.
the magazine is Men's Book.

Dont ask him, call the magazine and ask what they charge for a full page ad. That way you get an idea on what kind of money they are spending on this.

Most reactions

Back