pricing for use of photo in marketing materials?

uav

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
New to this blog- sorry if I accidentally screw up in posting the wrong way or something. I just have a question about how one charges for the use of a photograph in marketing materials.

Short background: I don't practice professionally right now, and have only shown work in student galleries. I gave my old boss the gift of a photo I did in a class, which he would now like to use in his marketing materials for his firm.
Does anyone know how (and how much) one charges for the use of a photo, what are the variables i need to consider, and if any kind of contract needs to be drawn up? if so, are there templates available?

I'd appreciate any help! Thanks!

The price should reflect accurately the usage which the picture will get. If it's a one off, then don't charge much and make it VERY clear that it is licensed for one use, one time. However, if they want to use it more extensively - like on everything, then you'll want to negotiate a license period - e.g. one year, unlimited use.

Some example prices I would say are reasonable:

one off single use: £2-£20 depending on exposure
one year, rights free usage: £100-£500
three year, rights free: £500+

Remember if you sell the rights to a picture, you can't sell it again during the period of the right lease, so if it is a killer picture, get your money's worth. If it's pretty ordinary and specific to the client, then let them have it a bit cheaper.

Rob

Rob said:
Remember if you sell the rights to a picture, you can't sell it again during the period of the right lease,

I think that only applies in competing markets eg i think you could sell a shot for a calendar then sell the same image again for a magazine because they;re not competing.

It also depends on the rights granted for each lease. If they're non-exclusive then anyone can lease the image from you but the price will be a bit lower because there is no exclusivity.

The above is my understanding so if anyone knows for sure then I'd be interested to hear otherwise.

Most reactions

Back