Pricing in a market saturated by Groupon deals

TCUphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What do you charge for portrait session/print/cd and how do you profit in a market saturated by cheap, poor quality work being offered on Groupon, Craigslist, etc....?

Between Groupon, Grouponicus and Living Social we had 3 cheap photography deals in my city today!! Ridiculous. What's frustrating to me is that I don't think non-photographers realize many of those Groupon photographers are offering poor quality, effortless photography. How do you compete? I've been doing photography as a hobby for a few years and offering my portrait photography services for about 8 months. I can produce a good product, and have had numerous people tell me so, however I'm still trying to build a client base. Looking at getting pricing ideas for 2012, as a large city portrait photographer in a Groupon world.

You set your prices based on your cost of doing business... and the quality of your images. If you're good, you will build a client base that recognizes that, and that will pay what you are worth.

You don't want the customers that are the Groupon El Cheapo types... trust me! More trouble than they are worth... never happy, always wanting more and more.. and wouldn't know a good shot if it bit them on the derriere! :)

You base your price on delivering a GREAT PRODUCT and don't worry about competing with the shoot and burners. I think that Kristal aka Rub said it best in a post earlier this year about celebrating an achievement for this year. How she proudly stated her prices to friends, family and clients alike. If you can back it up with delivering quality product and fantastic customer service and experience then don't worry about what the rest of the world is doing. Yes you will lose some clients but most likely thats not your target market anyways.

Last edited:
Charge $700 for a 90-minute to 2-hour location photo shoot with 50 images on DVD. Use good lenses and a couple of quality light modifiers. Shoot with beat-up, 20-year old strobes. Use your incident light meter two or three times during each session.

What do you charge for portrait session/print/cd and how do you profit in a market saturated by cheap, poor quality work being offered on Groupon, Craigslist, etc....?

Between Groupon, Grouponicus and Living Social we had 3 cheap photography deals in my city today!! Ridiculous. What's frustrating to me is that I don't think non-photographers realize many of those Groupon photographers are offering poor quality, effortless photography. How do you compete? I've been doing photography as a hobby for a few years and offering my portrait photography services for about 8 months. I can produce a good product, and have had numerous people tell me so, however I'm still trying to build a client base. Looking at getting pricing ideas for 2012, as a large city portrait photographer in a Groupon world.

Not to take the side of the cheap photographer, but you need to distinguish yourself. Make people want you because you are superior.

I see the same problems, arguments, and debates about people that think they can write so they write for free, thereby cutting into a legitimate writer's potential profit. Should I be upset? No, it is not worth it. My client list is keeping me very busy. Should I be upset if you decide to write for free or offer writing services to others?

I suspect some web sites accept this free work because it is something they do not need to pay for.

It is a battle that never ends and as long as cheap cameras abound, some people will decide they are Ansel Karsh and they will undercut your prices. They cannot be banned or legislated out of business, probably, so you must learn to cope.

You might complain about those that offer these deals (as well as these cheap imitation photographers themselves) but there must be some studios in your area that were there before you and consider you to be another Johnny Come Lately, stealing their business.

Groupon may not be around much longer.

Their business model is seriously flawed. Investors are bailing left and right, and their stock price has suffered.

raise your prices by 2000% and go on groupon yourself with the final price you make after groupons cut what you normally make. :D

groupon can work for you if you do it right, as in no digital files, and make enough with the deal to cover your time and expenses and leave room for upselling.

I wouldn't worry about the Groupon deals too much. Another few stories like the one that happened in France recently and nobody will want to offer Groupon deals :lol:

A pastry shop offered a deal. To fulfill the amazing demand they had to hire a bunch of people. Not only did the quality suffer seriously because the new hires were not up to snuff but they almost went bankrupt and had to make a deal with Groupon to stop the darn deal.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back