Pricing photo sessions

adriennecorin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hiii :)

I wonder if anyone can help me out a bit. My boyfriend and his coworker are architects and his coworker wants to me to go to the homes and places that he has designed and take pictures for him so he can put together a book of his work. I also may have to do some touch ups in photoshop if they need them and travel to the places. My question is, how much should I charge him? How should I break down the pricing? Hope there is someone to help me out!!

thank youu!!
:)

Welcome to the forum.

This isn't easy to answer. In a situation like this, it usually depends on the usage that the photos will be for. For example, you would charge a lot more if the photos are to be used in a national advertising campaign, than if they are just for a personal portfolio. Will they be published at all?

You might try calling up a professional photographer in your area and ask what they would charge, then use that to base your price on.

My boyfriends co-worker is hiring me to take pictures of his residential and commercial buildings he re-designed and he was planning on publishing a book when all the pictures are ready and going to give me a percentage of the sales.

I have no idea what you should charge, but make sure that you come to an agreement (preferably in writing) beforehand. Things can quickly get muddy if you wait until after, to work something out.

alright, that actually sounds very fair. do you have any techniques and tips for me by any chance? like what kind of angles and things like that?

thank you :)

do you have any techniques and tips for me by any chance? like what kind of angles and things like that?
I have no idea what you will be shooting...so I can't offer much in the way of tips.

I will suggest that you use a tripod, so that you can use a small aperture to maximize you Depth of Field.

ok :) thank you soo soo much for help!!!! i really appreciate it :)

Since it is buildings, a wide angle lens and software to reduce or eliminate lens related distortion would be necessary too.

skieur

Publishing a book? Percentage of sales? Sounds like a heavy undertaking. We could use some more information. What do you mean when you say residential and commercial buildings? Are they in a city? Are they in a suburb? Are they 1 story or high rises? Are they high end properties? You see what I am getting at? Architectural photography is very specific. Generally a view camera is ideal. Again; not sure how serious you are going to get.

As always a clear understanding of how the work will go down is essential. Map out the shots for each property. This needs to include time of day, interior or exterior, time spent and production of the final image. This should get you started and let us know how you make out.

Sounds like pricing is the least of your worries. I guess it is not up to you since they suggested percentage of sales. Personally I would charge what they are giving. Hopefully in the ballpark of $100.00 pr/hr.

Love & Bass

Last edited:
Hiii :)

I wonder if anyone can help me out a bit. My boyfriend and his coworker are architects and his coworker wants to me to go to the homes and places that he has designed and take pictures for him so he can put together a book of his work. I also may have to do some touch ups in photoshop if they need them and travel to the places. My question is, how much should I charge him? How should I break down the pricing? Hope there is someone to help me out!!

thank youu!!
:)

Hard call here . . . just don't undercut yourself . . . . if you have access to an attorney or someone with a copyright background that might be a good place to start . . . its hard to see your work making money for someone else so make sure to write up a fair contract if they do publish . . .

residential = homes , commercial = stores and they are all over long island. not really in the city.

Most reactions

Back