Pricing Question

sirfugu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I need some advice on whether or not I am getting screwed on an offer that was made to me. A little background first. I am a nature photographer and I have a decent portfolio (Ryan Ankeny's Gallery) of bird and nature images. I have just begun marketing my photography. I recently got an offer from a business that sells wholesale photography to hospitals, restaurants, hotels, and furniture stores. The offer was $2 per square foot of my photography that sells. This seems to me a rather odd way of pricing photography and rather low. Apparently the company is working on some deals with some large furniture stores to sell photography and art and there is the possibility that I could be selling 100,200,500 or more prints. That is still theoretical though. So what do you all think? How bad are they trying to screw me over and what would you ask?

It sounds odd, but really I have no idea. I'm curious to hear what others say.

A quick flip through of your portfolio makes me want to ask, can you photo's be PRINTED in a 100, 200, or 500 sq ft shot? I mean, some seem to lack quality to be printed larger than a few square feet. I mean, i can see noise in some of these shots, so how on earth could they be printed that large? And no, i'm not commenting on your images from an art standpoint, just a technical standpoint.

I'm not saying they are going to be printed that big, I'm saying there is the potential for selling that many copies. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. I know there is noise visible in some of them but not all, and most likely they will be printed at 20x30 or smaller.

Hmmm... that does NOT sound very good to me. A 16x20 (about as large a print form an APS-C sensor'd camera as you can reasonably expect) is just under 2 1/4 sq ft. That would translate to about $5.50, IF they print them that large. I would want a damn sight more than that for a 16.x20 unless I had an assurance that they were going to be buying a LOT of them - even 500 prints at $5.50 isn't a great return IMO. I take it they do all of the printing and marketing? What sort of rights release do you have to sign?

I would have to agree with tirediron and are these signed and numbered prints? Who is paying for the prints to be ran? and the quality of the prints?

Seems ok to me, especially as you are just starting out. Don't expect riches on the first few photos you sell. Looking at your portfolio, I like the scenes, but the rest do not really stand out to me, so it reinforces my view that the price is right. I think it is a great way to get some return on your photos, even if just a little.

You coudl alswyas try to negotiate a little. Why not ask for $2.50 ?

I'm not saying they are going to be printed that big, I'm saying there is the potential for selling that many copies. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. I know there is noise visible in some of them but not all, and most likely they will be printed at 20x30 or smaller.

Ahh that makes more sense.

Thanks all for the responses. They will be doing all the printing and marketing. All I have to do is give them a CD with the files on it and they do the rest. I am retaining all rights but giving them permission to use the images in their catalog and website. I have no assurances that they will sell even one of my photos. I guess it is up to the clients that are doing the purchasing to pick what they want. But I have to say, even if my photography isn't amazing it is still better than all the other photography in their catalog. So that makes me think that IF they can do some big deals with some furniture stores that my photography would probably be the most popular.

I know I am just starting out and I don't expect to get rich quick, but I also don't want to be someone's fool. They know I am new to marketing my photography and I don't want to be taken advantage of. I just want a fair rate.

Seems ok to me, especially as you are just starting out. Don't expect riches on the first few photos you sell. Looking at your portfolio, I like the scenes, but the rest do not really stand out to me, so it reinforces my view that the price is right. I think it is a great way to get some return on your photos, even if just a little.

You coudl alswyas try to negotiate a little. Why not ask for $2.50 ?

This is a very dangerous line of thought. People tend to way undervalue their work far too easily.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back