Pricing?

Phazan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My friend's dad paid me $60 to take pictures of his younger son's basketball game. I edited them, and I wish I could post them to have an example, but I feel kinda weird posting pictures of other people's kids on the internet. They aren't really GOOD, but they are better than if someone with a P&S took them..I have about 40 edited pictures. Is $60 too much??

Thanks

My friend's dad paid me $60 to take pictures of his younger son's basketball game. I edited them, and I wish I could post them to have an example, but I feel kinda weird posting pictures of other people's kids on the internet. They aren't really GOOD, but they are better than if someone with a P&S took them..I have about 40 edited pictures. Is $60 too much??

Thanks

Being in the industry, and having done commercial work (not sports, tho) I think you are way way way underpriced. It also is going to depend on your experience and talent, though, also.

For example....half a day commercial shoot for me, I charge upwards of $1200. I dont know how it is with sports photography, though.

And no, you cannot post pictures (minors or adults) without a model release. There are loops holes to that, but I wouldnt mess with it.

Hey, thanks for the reply..As long as I'm not overpriced, I don't mind much.. I don't really have much talent. And the shots are just kinda OK in my opinion. Better than average, but I think most photographers would say that the picture are just ok. =/

That is the best way to get started till you can really fine tune your skills. You made $60 and you probably learned somthing so that is good deal. What about the photos make you think that they are just ok.

And no, you cannot post pictures (minors or adults) without a model release. There are loops holes to that, but I wouldnt mess with it.

I don't actually believe that is the case, however I agree it is better not to.

Im pretty sure it is. :) You can use images as much as you want in a printed portfoilio, but anything online must have a release. Especially kids.

There is a reason professional photographers, especially child photographers, all use model releases and minor model releases. It might be a state to state issues, I am not sure on that. It also is going to be totally different depending on country obviously, as well.

Last edited:
Being in the industry, and having done commercial work (not sports, tho) I think you are way way way underpriced. It also is going to depend on your experience and talent, though, also.

For example....half a day commercial shoot for me, I charge upwards of $1200. I dont know how it is with sports photography, though.

Well, this sounds like his friends dad just said like "oh would you mind shooting these?" Not really a big huge deal (no offense to OP intended). I personally would charge $200, $300, at the most.

Phil

PS-Take what I said with a grain of salt-I'm not a professional photog in any sense of the word.

Well, this sounds like his friends dad just said like "oh would you mind shooting these?" Not really a big huge deal (no offense to OP intended). I personally would charge $200, $300, at the most.

Phil

PS-Take what I said with a grain of salt-I'm not a professional photog in any sense of the word.

Yup that's pretty much it. It was kinda like he was going to take pictures himself, but he thought "why not pay Brandon to take them, cause he's got a lot of gear and his pictures are really nice"

Thanks for the help everyone!

No offense taken, just giving another perspective on it. :) Its a good place to start out at....nothing wrong with that at all!

^Yup, thank you though for your input

I'll be sure to contact you for advice if I start doin stuff professionally :D (If you are ok with that)

Im pretty sure it is. :) You can use images as much as you want in a printed portfoilio, but anything online must have a release. Especially kids.

There is a reason professional photographers, especially child photographers, all use model releases and minor model releases. It might be a state to state issues, I am not sure on that. It also is going to be totally different depending on country obviously, as well.

Not to hijack the thread, but I find this very interesting. I'm not aware of any difference with respect to liability for on-line images vs. printed images. Does anyone have any documentation or fact to refute or confirm this?

While I do not have an actual piece of legislation to show you, because I do believe if IS a state to state issue, this is a good read on why you always should.

Using the Name or Likeness of Another | Citizen Media Law Project

Another reason is because my lawyer said it was best.

"As a general matter, you should never use someone's name or photograph in advertising or promotion of your website or blog without permission.....

..... it is a good practice to obtain consent of the person depicted when you publish photographs or other personal information about someone on your blog, especially if your use might be construed as commercial or promotional"

Your website is promoting you, and while a printed portfolio is also in a way, its not on the web for the public to see.

EDIT TO ADD:
Here is the state by state Legislature on Privacy

http://www.ncsl.org/programs/lis/privacy/publicity04.htm

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back