Pricing

rub

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am just about to update (and increase) my pricing. Just wondering if you can take a look and see if I am overlooking anything, and that the pricing is clear.

Previously I was offering a set print package with x 4x6's, x 5x7's, x 8x10's but heard from clients that they wanted more flexibility.

Any feedback is appreciated.
Thanks,
Kristal

-------------

Portrait Sessions ~ $125
1.5 hours
Online proofing gallery
25+ fully retouched images
5 low resolution watermarked images for sharing
15% early bird ordering special on prints

Newborn Sessions ~ $275
Up to 3 hours
Online proofing gallery
25+ fully retouched images
50 custom designed birth announcements

Boudoir Sessions ~ $425
2 hour photo session
Professional hair and makeup
Champagne
25+ fully glamour retouched images
$100 print credit

Wedding Packages
All packages include
10 low resolution watermarked images for sharing
Online proofing gallery
15% early bird ordering special

JOY Package ~ $800
4 hours coverage
100+ images
$200 print credit

LOVE Package ~ $1200
6 hours coverage
200+ images
$300 print credit

BLISS Package ~ $1600
8 hours coverage
300+ images
$400 print credit

HAPPINESS Package ~ $2000
10 hours coverage
400+ images
$500 print credit

HAPPILY EVER AFTER Package ~ $3500
Engagement Session with 8x10
10 hours coverage
2 soft cover proof books
2 40 page coffee table parents albums
1 10x10 leather wedding album
1 11x14 canvas print
1 DVD
100 thank you cards

Portrait Session DVD’s ~ $250
All gallery images

Wedding Session DVD’s ~ $600
Choice of 50 fully retouched images
All gallery images

A la carte Prints
4x6 - $10.00
5x7 - $15.00
8x10 - $25.00
11x14 - $45.00
16 x 20 - $85.00

Shipping is additional and is quoted per order.
(I ahve done this as the larger canvas prints can get quite expensive)

Last edited:
The only area that I see that could be confusing is the fully retouched images. Are these original size or set for a certain print size or actual prints?

If they are original size, it will certainly limit any additional print orders. If the additional print purchases are different looks or images that should be noted.

Im trying to find the right wording for that. The images would all be digital. All the images in the gallery are color corrected, sharpened, and made print ready. Then I givethe client a choice of 50 images that will have additional retouching, ie, selective coloring, special effects or processing, advanced blemish removal and retouching etc.

Maybe I am way off here.

Are most of you guys doing that for every single photo from a wedding? Around here, the extra details for retouching just doesnt seem to happen much, if at all.

I think we are both thinking different things here - hich leads me to believe that my pricing is unclear. But I think I see where you are going with that.

I do not offer any images on CD as a part of the package price. The images (25+) are just a guideline so people know what to expect as far as images available.

If I said "Images to choose from" woudl that make it more clear?

Kristal

I think we are both thinking different things here - hich leads me to believe that my pricing is unclear. But I think I see where you are going with that.

I do not offer any images on CD as a part of the package price. The images (25+) are just a guideline so people know what to expect as far as images available.

If I said "Images to choose from" woudl that make it more clear?

You are not offering any full res images for the price? Wow.

I just redid my pricing and added the option for a disc (extra). It includes hi-res images, but with a statement that they are NOT to be printed using an outside source (ie: Wal-Mart, CVS, etc) and only for sharing purposes (facebook, myspace). They are watermarked enough to deter printing anyway, but it's good to have that clause anyway.

I set my prices at $75 for a disc of 36 images (engagement or portrait session), and $250 for 144 images (wedding)

Hmm. I just went from $100 to $125 - didnt think it was that big of a jump. If I was to include an 8x10 print it would be the same thing. Maybe I should offer the 8x10?

I do have a couple of print packages that I will be putting together, which will reflect about a 25% saving over the regular price. (4x6 of all shots, a few 5x7's and an 8x10)

All that being said, I'm pretty comfortable with my pricing. I simply cannot offer images on disk for the $125 sitting fee. After consultaion and communication with the client, the photoshoot, editing, uploading to a gallery, and buring a cd, insurance, business expenses, packaging and taxes, I would be working for less than minimum wage. With no chance of print sales. Not gonna happen.

I honestly do appreciate your feedback though. Hope some others will chime in as well.

----

DS - I have a few clients who specifcaly want to print there own, as cheap as possible, as they scrapbook. My disk prices include personal reprinting rights, and the images are not watermarked.

I do like the option of a low res full disk with the images for sharing. I think I might consider adding that as an option. Thanks for the idea.

Full res images are not for sharing on the web. They will be printed by whomever the client chooses. Simple as that.
What I do is to educate the client on the vast differences between someplace like Walmart and a true Pro Lab. That works most of the time.

As for charging $125 to $3500 for a sitting fee, good on ya if you can get it. I must be living in the wrong area.

I realize that full res images are not for sharing on the web. I offer some free low res images (watermarked as well) with packages. But high res come at a price.

As well, as you will see from my initial post, I do not have a $3500 sitting fee. That is for a deluxe wedding package with proof books, albums, canvas prints, thank you cards etc.

I am in a small town with 15,000 people. And my prices are on the low side for around here.

Interestign how demographics can change the perception of value so much.

If you can get it, great. Nothing wrong with it in my book. I am not saying that what you are doing is wrong. If you earn a living with that business model, I think that is great.

I do mostly commercial work myself, but will book portraits and other non commercial work and usually pay other photographers to do it. I work with clients who spend anywhere from $100 to deep into five figures and without exception, they all receive full res images as part of their package.

Now many photographers have told me that my business model is not the best out there, and maybe they are right, but I refer more work to other photographers than most of the ones who know better get in a given year.

DS - I have a few clients who specifcaly want to print there own, as cheap as possible, as they scrapbook. My disk prices include personal reprinting rights, and the images are not watermarked.

I may add that option or change the disc to low-res for sharing and offer a hi-res disc for printing at a higher price. I do offer a set of 4 X 6 prints in an album as well as 8 X 10's with my engagement and wedding packages (1 with engagement and 3 with wedding).

I tend to not like even offering discs for two reasons: 1) Even if you tell them "these are for sharing ONLY", you get people that will still try to go print them out elsewhere. and 2) I shoot film, so to put images on a disc, I have to scan the negatives. Granted my scanner can do 6 frames at a time, but even at 4800dpi (.tiff), scanning takes 3-5 minutes PER frame, then there's the post of removing any dust that made its way on to the glass, etc.

And we do have a pro lab in town that will transfer negatives to CD (Wolf Camera), but it's $10 per roll and they're done at a very low quality. The high quality transfer is $30 per roll, so if I shoot 6 rolls of film at a wedding, I either have to factor in an entire day's worth of scanning, or factor in $180 in extra cost to have them do it. And even their high quality isn't as good as I can do.

I offer some free low res images (watermarked as well) with packages. But high res come at a price.

I may consider adding that same option to my packages. Thanks =)

I can understand your work involved. I am not keen on disk for the other usual reasons - lost print sales, loss of control over the print quality, the possibility of sharing and copying.

I often tell my brides that the online gallery is great for them, as they can pass along the info to family and friends. It saves the bride and groom money as they dont have to buy additional images they may not want, and creates revenue for me, and Auny Sally can buy an 8x10 (or 5) f whatever she wants. Its a win win win.

If I client wants a full set of prints (or 2 or 3) I do that at a reduced rate. Also, for all wedding packages, the package includes a print credit that they can use towards a print set, album, disk etc. It gives them more flexibility.

Thanks for your feedback DS.

Kristal

I should be thanking you Kristal! I've done a couple weddings before, but they were for close friends and I did the shoot as a wedding gift (and for practice). I've got a former co-worker whose contacted me about shooting her wedding so it will actually be my first PROFITABLE wedding shoot lol. I'd put together some packages a while ago and tweaked them here and there before sending her my prices, but you've thrown some really good ideas at me that I think will not only help me make the sale, but make the bride and family happier.

Would you mind if I posted my price list/packages to get your input on? I'll PM them so as to not hijack your thread lol

Go nuts - I'd be happy to help if I can.

Cheers,
Kristal

Most reactions

Back