Pricing

peanutbuttersports

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
how much do pics normally sold for to a paintball magazine

I would think contacting the magazine and asking them what they pay for freelance would be a better way to find out. Especially since you haven't given us ANY details like what kind of shots they are, would they be used for articles or advertising and what specific magazine.

Pause and consider some things. You need to mull over this stuff to get a better idea of how you should price.

Will you be given credit for the images when they are published? For some, especially when starting out, this may be a reason to lower the price per image a tad.

How big is this magazine, actually? How much do they charge for subscriptions? How widely are they distributed. If your images are going to be distributed to a vast audience, you should be charging more. If they're relatively small, then not so much (smaller businesses have smaller budgets, after all).

How much time and effort have you invested in the images? Are you providing with the images any sort of guarantees? (I, for instance, guarantee that my images will be available until the end of my natural life, barring catastrophic, simultaneous failure of all my backup systems. This is for purposes of reprinting, or re-editing, etc. But, that ups the cost on my end a little and I pass that cost on.)

What license are you going to be providing? Will it be exclusive or non-exclusive? Will it have a limit on how many copies may be printed or no? Will they be allowed to do extensive editing to the images or no? Etc, etc, etc, ad nauseum.

Hey, no one said pricing one's work was a piece of cake.

as someone, I think it was here, said -- if a picture's worth a thousand words, it's worth a thousand dollars.

You may want to work on your grammar if you are going to try to sell your product. They will instantly undermine you if you speak to them in the same way you type on here.

between $1 and 1-MEEEEElion dollars. *brings pinky to lip*

as someone, I think it was here, said -- if a picture's worth a thousand words, it's worth a thousand dollars.
Not when it comes to editorial use which doesn't pay much more than just consigning your images to the recycle bin.

Pictures by peanutbutterphotography - Photobucket
are my shots

i am unsure what to charge and the would be just included in a well known pb magazine just about the tournament

i looked at all your shots

You don't have any from before or after the game
no faces
wheres the shots of the winners with their trophies​

you can turn the camera sideways and shoot in a vertical format
thats the long side of the pic going up & down
its also called portrait format
makes it easier for magazine layout editor to add words next to the pic​

if you want to do photojournalism you really should learn a little about the journalism part at the same time you're learning the photo part.​

a magazine will have to do a lot of editing on your images to be able to use them
an magazine article on the pb game will use maybe 6 shots​

so pick your best 6 and send them in
they'll tell you if they're worth anything​

I agree on the grammar thing. Assemble some well thought out template letters to use. Have someone proof read them and use their edits.

Re: the getting paid part -
I've had some articles published in a few scuba mags. Most magaizines have a staff of writers/photographers that they want to keep busy. So you have to deal with that.

If they use freelancers, they are ones with which they have a professional relationship and they know their work. This means you may have to begin submitting to simply get credits.

Once they see the caliber of your work and you become of $value, they'll begin paying. Of couse you need to contact the editors and ask how to get paid for submissions.

Not when it comes to editorial use which doesn't pay much more than just consigning your images to the recycle bin.

Maybe you approached the wrong publications. I made a very good living with editorial work.

Now, I don't play or am interested in paint ball so I can't help with rates but go to the library and check out the "Photographer's Market" which is all about rates.

Most reactions

Back