Primary School Asked Me To Do Talk & Demonstration? HELP!!

andantesash

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Guys!

I was wondering if you could help me. A local primary school has asked me to go in tomorrow for their world of work day and present photography as a job to them!

They want me to talk about the opportunities it has brought me etc, things it can do for you etc - and some activities for kids under the age of 12.

Can someone tell me some activities to do with them?

I've never spoke to kids before so im panicky on what to say - any advice on what things to say etc.

Hope someone can help!

What kind of photography do you do?

Maybe bring in some impressive looking equipment (big cameras, big lenses, lights etc).

Maybe bring in some impressive looking equipment (big cameras, big lenses, lights etc).

This could only end well? Right... hehe

And if any of them break any of your stuff, give them a shot of espresso and 4 Sharpies, THEN direct them to a teacher.

In all seriousness, though, break it down to the super basics. Have you ever gone somewhere super amazing to take photos? Or seen amazing, one-time things? I mean, why would anyone NOT like photography as a job? It's a chance for you to show people what places and people and things and the entire world around you looks like through your eyes. When it comes to photography, everyone has something unique and amazing to show the world. There's not many jobs you can say that about.

And if any of them break any of your stuff, give them a shot of espresso and 4 Sharpies, THEN direct them to a teacher.

In all seriousness, though, break it down to the super basics. Have you ever gone somewhere super amazing to take photos? Or seen amazing, one-time things? I mean, why would anyone NOT like photography as a job? It's a chance for you to show people what places and people and things and the entire world around you looks like through your eyes. When it comes to photography, everyone has something unique and amazing to show the world. There's not many jobs you can say that about.

Tell that to the people that do products shots for pampers for a living.

Tell that to the people that do products shots for pampers for a living.

Touché

Take in a film camera and show the aperture from wide open to f22 looking into the lens on bulb as you adjust. Let them see through a wide angle lens and how far things look and then through a telephoto. Let them snap the shutter since no film is in the camera.

I have done this in Grade 1 (6 year olds) with great success. Needless to say make sure the camera strap is around their neck, so dropping it won't happen and assist them if they find the camera and lens to be heavy.

skieur

I agree with skieur, let them see and touch a camera, but I would bring in a few prints of things you have shot. the WOW shots something with lots of color and see if they can figure out where or what it is. get them involved as much as you can but be short like 20 min or so. you don't want to bore them.

How did it go? What did you do/say/show them?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back