Prime 50 mm for my new 60 D

fotomumma09

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So my next lens will be a 50 mm, but unsure if I should get the 1.8 or save a little longer for the 1.4. I've read some reviews that say the 1.4 does not out perform the 1.8 enough to spend $300 or so more. Any thoughts?

I beg to differ. The f/1.8 model is not a BAD optical performer, but the lens is... and I mean this... Junk. It's cheaply made, with a plastic lens mount, and produces crappy bokeh when stopped down past f/2.5.

The 50mm f/1.8 is prone to breaking into two pieces because of it's chintzy design. It's basically a disposable lens more or less. The Canon 50mm f/1.4 will perform better and has better resolution, as well as USM, and more aperture blades. It's all around a better lens, and will invariably produce better images IMO.

However, if you're on a tight budget, the f/1.8 version will get you by.

I second Tyler. I have the 1.8 and it is cheaply made and very plastic-y.

However, I got it for 89 bucks on boxing day and it's still pretty sharp and a good value. It's the first prime I've ever had and has served me well so far. When I breaks, I'll either get the 1.4 or the Sigma 50 mm though to replace it.

I also have the 1.8 and love it. I loved it so much though and use it so much I wish I would've invested in the 1.4 or even the 1.2. I do a lot of street shots so I could've lived without the extra cash for the quality difference

on the move!!!!!!

I had the older version of the 50mm F1.8. It's made with more metal parts than the new (II) version, had an actual distance scale etc. It was a decent little lens.
I still upgraded to the 50mm F1.4, because it's a better lens.

In the grand scheme of things, the EF 50mm F1.4, at only $379 is one of the best deal in their whole line up.

Is it a perfect lens? no...certainly not. While it does have a USM focus motor, I don't think it's the 'Ring' USM focus motor that you'll find on most of their higher end lenses. It's still better that what is in the F1.8 version.

There are also other 50mm lenses to consider.
I don't think you'll be in the marker for the 50mm F1.2 L....few are. It's a lot more to pay for a lens, when the F1.4 is so good for it's price.

I've heard a lot of great things about the Sigma 50mm F1.4. It's more expensive than the Canon, at $499. But people say the image quality is on par (or very close to) the Canon L primes like the 24mm F1.4 L or the 35mm F1.4 L...both of which are in the $1500 neighborhood.

By the way. Before digital cameras became the norm....the most asked question on photography forums was "What should I get, the 50mm F1.8 or 50mm F1.4?"

Now of course, it's "What digital camera should I get?"

I'd recommend purchasing the canon 50mm 1.8, and if you love the distance, investing in the sigma 50mm 1.4. While I do think that the canon 50mm 1.8 is a good lens, especially for that price, I would save up for a used sigma 50mm 1.4 (I got mine for $400 shipped).

I currently have the sigma 50mm 1.4 on the 60d. It's sturdy, well-built, quiet, and great in low light (especially concerts).

Good luck!

Thanks everyone, I bought the 1.8. They hold they're value, so I can always sell it down the road and invest in the 1.4 later. Still getting used to it.

I would have saved on the 1.4. the 1.8m while priced very good for a prime lens, is built like a toy. but thats just me...

Thanks everyone, I bought the 1.8. They hold they're value, so I can always sell it down the road and invest in the 1.4 later. Still getting used to it.

I love it when people ask for opinions, then receive a unanimous opinion from several forum members, yet do exactly the opposite of what people suggest.

It just warms my heart... and makes me bash my head against my desk.

I love it when people ask for opinions, then receive a unanimous opinion from several forum members, yet do exactly the opposite of what people suggest.

But that is totally OK ... a personal decision is not democracy. You receive the input from others, and then you have to weight it against the financial pain it will cause.

and as people said, the 1.8 is not a bad lens. and in terms of value for money it is very good. yes the 1.4 is better in many respects as pointed out here, but on a tight budget it might not be the best option.

BTW, we have the 1.4 and the 1.8 for many years now, and even the 1.8 is still alive and has not broken yet ;)

Is the build really that bad?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

But that is totally OK ... a personal decision is not democracy. You receive the input from others, and then you have to weight it against the financial pain it will cause.

and as people said, the 1.8 is not a bad lens. and in terms of value for money it is very good. yes the 1.4 is better in many respects as pointed out here, but on a tight budget it might not be the best option.

BTW, we have the 1.4 and the 1.8 for many years now, and even the 1.8 is still alive and has not broken yet ;)

What point does asking what you should do with a $100 lens vs a $360 lens, if you are already financially limited to the $100 lens? She's not going to be able to resell it for $100. Probably between 70-90. So the f/1.4 version will now cost 380-400 bucks when she wants to upgrade.

You're right, personal decision isn't a democracy. However disregarding everyone's opinions and deciding on the less expensive of the two, regardless of all the benefits of the higher priced one is frustrating to watch.

Most reactions

Back