OpticMemory

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
opticmemory.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Folks,

I just found out that there are 2 versions of the 50mm (please pardon my noobity).
50mm 1.8 cost about a THIRD of the price of 1.4... My eyes almost popped out..

1.4 = $379 (B&H)
1.8 = $120 (Bestbuy)

Anyway... is there a major difference between the two?
Pros / Cons?

Thanks,
Wil

Last edited:

Crollo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
It depends on the specific lens [You didn't specify the brand\mount], but if I could get a 1.4 over a 1.8 cheaper [assuming not in horrible\broken condition], I'd get it in a heartbeat.

DiskoJoe

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit

2WheelPhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit

bigthumb.gif

Dao

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
The extra cost of the Canon 50mm f/1.4 over f/1.8 gives you the following:

- Better build quality (better plastic). But I do not think the f/1.8 really that bad. It just feel very plastic.
- Metal mount vs plastic. I don't like plastic mount. But that is just personal preference.
- Faster Autofocus (micro-USM AF drive). Of course, faster the better especially when taking photos of kids. But it does not mean the f/1.8 is slow. Just slower.
- Full Time Manual (FTM) focus. If you do not use manual focus anyway, it is not a deal breaker.
- Manual focus ring is NOT at the front of the lens. Don't know why Canon move the manual focus ring to the front of the lens in f/1.8. If you never use manual focus, it is not an issue at all.
- Distance scale. Comes in handy sometimes, but most of the time, I do not use it.
- 8 Aperture blades (instead of 5) More blades = Better out of focus blur look. Take a look at here. Scroll down to Bokeh and read about it.
- A little sharper at f/1.8
- And of course, you can stop down the lens to f/1.4. (Wider aperture to allow more light to enter)

osirus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
The extra cost of the Canon 50mm f/1.4 over f/1.8 gives you the following:

- Better build quality (better plastic). But I do not think the f/1.8 really that bad. It just feel very plastic.
- Metal mount vs plastic. I don't like plastic mount. But that is just personal preference.
- Faster Autofocus (micro-USM AF drive). Of course, faster the better especially when taking photos of kids. But it does not mean the f/1.8 is slow. Just slower.
- Full Time Manual (FTM) focus. If you do not use manual focus anyway, it is not a deal breaker.
- Manual focus ring is NOT at the front of the lens. Don't know why Canon move the manual focus ring to the front of the lens in f/1.8. If you never use manual focus, it is not an issue at all.
- Distance scale. Comes in handy sometimes, but most of the time, I do not use it.
- 8 Aperture blades (instead of 5) More blades = Better out of focus blur look. Take a look at here. Scroll down to Bokeh and read about it.
- A little sharper at f/1.8
- And of course, you can stop down the lens to f/1.4. (Wider aperture to allow more light to enter)

This.

Ive owned both.
the 1.8 is great, and i was completely happy with it

but i saw a 1.4 for sale for $225, so i sold my 1.8 and grabbed the 1.4, and its just a little bit better in every way.

Dao

Reaction score
In the use market, you may be able to find the first version of the EF 50mm f/1.8 lens which I think is better than the version II.

Difference between ver. I and ver. II

Version I is better because
- It use better plastic.
- It has metal mount.
- It has distance scale.
- The manual focus ring is not at the front of the lens.
- Build quality is better.

But they are usually cost more than the new version II. unless you are lucky.

Ricky21

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
davidchurch said:
I just sold the 1.8 to get the 1.4, the 1.4 can be used in much lower light and focuses much faster

+1. I just did the same. It's just an overall better build as well

theregoesjb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
if money is no concern then get the 1.4 but i love my 1.8.

Do you know if your camera is a crop sensor?

Mine is and i think it makes a big difference in how much you use it, there are a lot of situations where i want to to use my prime lens but its just too tight of a frame and have to switch it off anyway. Id rather spend less on the 1.8 and use the money saved to go towards a nice 17-50 f/2.8.

scorpion_tyr

Reaction score
Website
lawrenceburnsphotography.yolasite.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
If you're currently using an 18-55mm, zoom in all the way and then back it down just a hair, and I mean a hair. Now look through the viewfinder. That's basically what it'll be like every time with a 50mm. My opinion is that it's very much worth the money to get a 1.8 and keep it in your bag in case you run into low light situations and need it. It's also a good portrait lens. Indoor sports... not so much because it doesn't focus nearly as fast as the 1.4 with USM. If you find you're using the 1.8 a lot after owning it for 6 months, save up and get a 1.4, but keep the 1.8 as a backup ;)

Austin Greene

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.AustinGreenePhotography.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey Folks,

I just found out that there are 2 versions of the 50mm (please pardon my noobity).
50mm 1.8 cost about a THIRD of the price of 1.4... My eyes almost popped out..

1.4 = $379 (B&H)
1.8 = $120 (Bestbuy)

Anyway... is there a major difference between the two?
Pros / Cons?

Thanks,
Wil

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

New Topics