OpticMemory

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
opticmemory.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Folks,

I just found out that there are 2 versions of the 50mm (please pardon my noobity).
50mm 1.8 cost about a THIRD of the price of 1.4... My eyes almost popped out..

1.4 = $379 (B&H)
1.8 = $120 (Bestbuy)

Anyway... is there a major difference between the two?
Pros / Cons?

Thanks,
Wil

Last edited:
It depends on the specific lens [You didn't specify the brand\mount], but if I could get a 1.4 over a 1.8 cheaper [assuming not in horrible\broken condition], I'd get it in a heartbeat.

bigthumb.gif

The extra cost of the Canon 50mm f/1.4 over f/1.8 gives you the following:

- Better build quality (better plastic). But I do not think the f/1.8 really that bad. It just feel very plastic.
- Metal mount vs plastic. I don't like plastic mount. But that is just personal preference.
- Faster Autofocus (micro-USM AF drive). Of course, faster the better especially when taking photos of kids. But it does not mean the f/1.8 is slow. Just slower.
- Full Time Manual (FTM) focus. If you do not use manual focus anyway, it is not a deal breaker.
- Manual focus ring is NOT at the front of the lens. Don't know why Canon move the manual focus ring to the front of the lens in f/1.8. If you never use manual focus, it is not an issue at all.
- Distance scale. Comes in handy sometimes, but most of the time, I do not use it.
- 8 Aperture blades (instead of 5) More blades = Better out of focus blur look. Take a look at here. Scroll down to Bokeh and read about it.
- A little sharper at f/1.8
- And of course, you can stop down the lens to f/1.4. (Wider aperture to allow more light to enter)

The extra cost of the Canon 50mm f/1.4 over f/1.8 gives you the following:

- Better build quality (better plastic). But I do not think the f/1.8 really that bad. It just feel very plastic.
- Metal mount vs plastic. I don't like plastic mount. But that is just personal preference.
- Faster Autofocus (micro-USM AF drive). Of course, faster the better especially when taking photos of kids. But it does not mean the f/1.8 is slow. Just slower.
- Full Time Manual (FTM) focus. If you do not use manual focus anyway, it is not a deal breaker.
- Manual focus ring is NOT at the front of the lens. Don't know why Canon move the manual focus ring to the front of the lens in f/1.8. If you never use manual focus, it is not an issue at all.
- Distance scale. Comes in handy sometimes, but most of the time, I do not use it.
- 8 Aperture blades (instead of 5) More blades = Better out of focus blur look. Take a look at here. Scroll down to Bokeh and read about it.
- A little sharper at f/1.8
- And of course, you can stop down the lens to f/1.4. (Wider aperture to allow more light to enter)

This.

Ive owned both.
the 1.8 is great, and i was completely happy with it

but i saw a 1.4 for sale for $225, so i sold my 1.8 and grabbed the 1.4, and its just a little bit better in every way.

In the use market, you may be able to find the first version of the EF 50mm f/1.8 lens which I think is better than the version II.

Difference between ver. I and ver. II

Version I is better because
- It use better plastic.
- It has metal mount.
- It has distance scale.
- The manual focus ring is not at the front of the lens.
- Build quality is better.

But they are usually cost more than the new version II. unless you are lucky.

davidchurch said:
I just sold the 1.8 to get the 1.4, the 1.4 can be used in much lower light and focuses much faster

+1. I just did the same. It's just an overall better build as well

if money is no concern then get the 1.4 but i love my 1.8.

Do you know if your camera is a crop sensor?

Mine is and i think it makes a big difference in how much you use it, there are a lot of situations where i want to to use my prime lens but its just too tight of a frame and have to switch it off anyway. Id rather spend less on the 1.8 and use the money saved to go towards a nice 17-50 f/2.8.

If you're currently using an 18-55mm, zoom in all the way and then back it down just a hair, and I mean a hair. Now look through the viewfinder. That's basically what it'll be like every time with a 50mm. My opinion is that it's very much worth the money to get a 1.8 and keep it in your bag in case you run into low light situations and need it. It's also a good portrait lens. Indoor sports... not so much because it doesn't focus nearly as fast as the 1.4 with USM. If you find you're using the 1.8 a lot after owning it for 6 months, save up and get a 1.4, but keep the 1.8 as a backup ;)

Hey Folks,

I just found out that there are 2 versions of the 50mm (please pardon my noobity).
50mm 1.8 cost about a THIRD of the price of 1.4... My eyes almost popped out..

1.4 = $379 (B&H)
1.8 = $120 (Bestbuy)

Anyway... is there a major difference between the two?
Pros / Cons?

Thanks,
Wil

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back