Prime lens vs Kit lens

I use both....kinky

I have a hobby that is very closely related to photography and that is recording. When one first starts into recording they usually start out with a entry level microphone, a entry level pre-amp/ADA converter and some entry level software. As your ears get better from hours of listening you start to appreciate the subtle differences between various microphones and maybe you even dump a bunch of money on a Neumann or other really expensive mic. Microphones are a lot like camera lenses. When you first start working with them your ears and eyes can't really tell much difference between the expensive ones and the cheap ones. But, as your ears and eyes get better at picking out the differences you then start to appreciate the differences. I use a 18-55 kit and for what I do it is just about all I need. I am sure there are big differences between it and the expensive stuff and when my eyes develop to a point that I can see this big difference, I'll probably spring for a more expensive lens. (jmho)

I don't doubt the superiority of the canon 85 1.8 over most lenses. However, lens resolution is not everything (most lenses are good enough), versability and convinience is more important to me. I don't like to waste time changin lenses or walking more. Besides, you can always sharpen the image in post processing.

Last edited:
I don't doubt the superiority of the canon 85 1.8 over most lenses. However, lens resolution is not everything (most lenses are good enough), versability and convinience is more important to me. I don't like to waste time changin lenses or walking more. Besides, you can always sharpen the image in post processing.

Waaahh Wrong Answer.

I always sharpen my images in post. Even when I'm using a 70-200 f/2.8 stopped down to f/5.6.
I shoot in RAW so the images need to be sharpened anyway.
If you don't want to waste your time walking or changing lenses, why waste your time taking pictures ;)

0ptics said:
Oh ok, actually that's good news, I just wasn't sure why the Canon 85mm looked so much better than the 35mm and mostly the 50mm. Because the Nikon 50mm's price is more than the Canon 85mm, but from what I've noticed the Canon 85mm produces way better images. Just to make sure, does the Nikon 85mm's shot look better than the 50mm? And does the Canon 85mm shots look better than the Canon 50mm? And I know price shouldn't be the the factor that indicates a "good/better" lens, but it just seems reasonable that lens that produces better/sharper images would cost more

The Nikon 85 1.4 is an amazing lens (from what ive read/heard -thank god since its so expensive. The Nikon 85 1.8 - I had one for 2 days and really liked it but i returned it because it was a full manual focus lens. A new Nikon 85 1.8 should be coming out soon though - in a month I think.

Not sure if you answered it already but what made the pictures so amazing?? Different focal lengths have different purposes and they present different angles of view(?). Maybe you just like the longer focal length - I don't know.

Nikon price is higher because it is an af-s lens. Some Nikons have a focusing motor built in the camera whereas some don't. So the lenses that have the focusing motor inside them are a little pricier (like the 50 1.4). I'm not completely sure but I don't think canon puts a focus motor in any of it's cameras.....

To be honest - you can get amazing shots out of any of those lenses (including the kit). You just have to know what you are doing.

I prefer to use a zoom lens, not as sharp as a prime lens but sharp enough. Walking is not a problem, but missing a shot for not having the right focal length is.

I guess the best thing about prime lenses is that they are faster. You can isolate the subject, and use them under low light. I wouldn't get a prime lens based only on its sharpness, if it's the right focal length and you need a bigger aperture go for it.

If you have a smartphone, there are many free Depth of Field calculators available. I found it useful to get a grasp of the impact of each variable in the final image.

That way I could take pictures with a plan in my head and understand why I only got one eye in focus, why the back ground didn't soften as expected etc.

Use the preview function of your camera if it has one.

It depends on the type of photos you take. If you feel like 85mm lens is best for the type of photo you take, yes go get the 85mm lens. (It is not Canon is better, with a Nikon 85mm on your camera, you will like it too).

I have the 85mm f/1.8 Canon myself. Before I bought the lens, I have the 50mm f/1.8 version 1. But I found that when I took photos of my family out door, I often use my telephoto zoom lens (not a fast lens) and shoot around 70 to 100mm range because I like it better. The out of focus blur background and the compression appeared to be better than my 50mm lens. So I bought the 85mm lens and yes, it is even better. (besides creamer background, the color and contrast is better than my telephoto zoom lens at 85mm)

So I think why you feel the 85mm is better because of the focal length. Of course, it can be something else too.

Thanks for the link, ya digitalrev is always interesting to watch!

The Nikon 85 1.4 is an amazing lens (from what ive read/heard -thank god since its so expensive. The Nikon 85 1.8 - I had one for 2 days and really liked it but i returned it because it was a full manual focus lens. A new Nikon 85 1.8 should be coming out soon though - in a month I think.

Not sure if you answered it already but what made the pictures so amazing?? Different focal lengths have different purposes and they present different angles of view(?). Maybe you just like the longer focal length - I don't know.

Nikon price is higher because it is an af-s lens. Some Nikons have a focusing motor built in the camera whereas some don't. So the lenses that have the focusing motor inside them are a little pricier (like the 50 1.4). I'm not completely sure but I don't think canon puts a focus motor in any of it's cameras.....

To be honest - you can get amazing shots out of any of those lenses (including the kit). You just have to know what you are doing.
Thanks MTVision, idk its just when I tried the camera/lens the images came out VERY sharp/clear and the colors were vibrant and popped, even simple snapshots looked great. I wish I was able to compare shots from the Canon lens and from the Nikon 35mm and 50m…But ya I guess my main question is that does focal length affect the sharpness/clarity of the image? For an example would I get similar images if I compared the Canon 50mm to the Nikon 50mm, Canon 85mm to the Nikon 85 (the new one that you mentioned), and Canon 35mm to the Nikon 35mm? I know they are all different lens and overall they’re both GREAT glass but just from what I remember when using it, the Canon 85mm’s images looks so much better than the Nikon’s 35mm or 50mm. I’ll definitely try them all out and hopefully be able to compare the differences/similarities.

It depends on the type of photos you take. If you feel like 85mm lens is best for the type of photo you take, yes go get the 85mm lens. (It is not Canon is better, with a Nikon 85mm on your camera, you will like it too).

I have the 85mm f/1.8 Canon myself. Before I bought the lens, I have the 50mm f/1.8 version 1. But I found that when I took photos of my family out door, I often use my telephoto zoom lens (not a fast lens) and shoot around 70 to 100mm range because I like it better. The out of focus blur background and the compression appeared to be better than my 50mm lens. So I bought the 85mm lens and yes, it is even better. (besides creamer background, the color and contrast is better than my telephoto zoom lens at 85mm)

So I think why you feel the 85mm is better because of the focal length. Of course, it can be something else too.

Oh ok thanks for the help Dao! This might sound repetitive , but you would say that the Canon 85mm is similar to the Nikon 85mm (Canon 50mm similar to Nikon 50mm/Canon 35mm similar to Nikon 35mm)? If so, would does focal length affect the sharpness of the images so much (or atleast from what I experienced)??

Thanks again for everyone’s, there probably isn’t a definite answer to my question but any insight/help would be awesome!!

The quality of the glass is different between the 35mm and the 85mm of either brand.

You keep saying reiterating sharpness and pop over the Canon lens than the nikon ones...were you shooting at different aperture settings? shooting a f/5.6 compared to f/1.8 can produce a drastic change in sharpness and clarity...

You keep saying reiterating sharpness and pop over the Canon lens than the nikon ones...were you shooting at different aperture settings? shooting a f/5.6 compared to f/1.8 can produce a drastic change in sharpness and clarity...

Not to mention different bodies... :)

I'm going to guess that the OP liked the 85 due to the bokeh of the longer lens. That is what made the lens appear "sharper". Just a thought.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back