Prime Talk - 24 f1.4L and 35 f1.4L

danalec99

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I had posted this on another forum as well.

What do you think of 24 f1.4L and 35 f1.4L? (This will be used on a 10D for now... eventual upgrade to a full-frame DSLR). Primary use would be event works (wedding, other functions etc).

Which is a better buy?

One thing to bear in mind with wide-angle lenses (even on digital cameras where their focal-length is usually multiplied by 1.5) is the problem with elongation of perspective: get in close and facial-features like noses look HUGE, and not very flattering. Not good if you're using it for portraiture, but less noticeable the further you get from the subject. So for that reason I'd probably go with the 35mm lens and live with the reduced angle of view. Anyhow, a 35mm lens on a typical DSLR with an APS-sized sensor will give you a similar field of view to 50mm lens on 35mm film.

Thanks for the response John. :)

No probs; quantity of responses were a bit underwhelming weren't they :)

I searched on the 'net for a picture to demonstrate what I meant by elongated perspective, and found these perfect examples, though obviously this is extreme:

chris.jpg

matt2.jpg

Thanks John for taking the time to fetch those pictures :).

Both the 24 and 35 are tempting. Would eventually want to have both in my bag. But for now, due to the crop factor (x1.6), I think I should probably go in for the 24. I love primes! :D

John Orrell said:
Just watch how close you go with it: you don't want everyone to look like they've got Barry Manilow noses :)
I will defenitely keep that in mind. Thanks! :)

"Just watch how close you go with it: you don't want everyone to look like they've got Barry Manilow noses"

Maybe not - this could be a cult of the 'big nose'. Digital photography could do a lot do make those with bigger ones feel as cool as a supermodel...especially if every supermodel nose starts to look like Barry Manilow's.
This is definitely one of the ups about digital photography - it is just so retro - who'd have thought it would bring Barry Manilow's unique appearance back.

"Go buy a new digital camera - look like Barry Manilow"

I actually was not intending on doing portraits or close ups with the 24. So I think Manilow's nose would be less of an issue.

35mm is just too long for shooting weddings.

After a LOT of experimentation of using a zoom when shooting some events, I decided to get 24L. It gives you better angle for "crowd" shots.

Good luck with your weddings.

DocFrankenstein said:
35mm is just too long for shooting weddings.

After a LOT of experimentation of using a zoom when shooting some events, I decided to get 24L. It gives you better angle for "crowd" shots.

Good luck with your weddings.
Thanks Doc.

Which is your main stay lens for events? Which was the zoom that you experimented with?

Just finished talking to this wonderful customer service staff at B&H. The 24 1.4 is coming in tomorrow. Can't wait! :)

Just got it right now. L is an L! The built and finish is top-notch. With the crop factor, the focal length is a lil more than 35mm. And ABOVE ALL, its 1.4! What more do I need, at the moment?! :)

I am in love! :drool:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back