Primes. Do theu really make you a better photog?

I have regular screw drivers as well as power screw drivers. If I buy a self assembled type furniture from a store, I usually use the power screw driver because it get the job done faster and I also enjoy putting it together. However, there are times that the regular hand screw driver work better so I use that instead.

I do not think my power tools are better than my hand tools it is simply because I still need the hand tools for certain tasks.

After all, they are just tools for us to finish a job.

I have prime and zoom lenses, I use them when I need them. And they are my tools as well.

If somehow zooms could have very large apertures like f/1.2-f/1.8 and retain very good IQ, there would be no point in primes.
Or if at the tele end they had zooms like 500-800 f/5.6 or something, there would be no point of primes either.
The only things primes would have over zooms is weight and probably lower price..but who cares about that anyways...

If you could buy a 500mm f/5.6 for 7 grand, but then you could get 500-800 f/5.6 for 13 grand, the latter would still be a better deal because individually, those lenses would cost a lot more..

Now what would be cool is if on zooms they had "zoom lock" so you could lock your zoom to a focal length like a prime. So you could pick any one of the preset settings like 70, 85, 100, 135, 180 and 200 and lock it at that focal length.

Wow. Officially my longest running thread. Glad to see it opened a well thought out discussion. This thread was an attempt to settle a debate with a pro friend who tells everyone they should only shoot primes. I personally use both and on my lens wish list there are both primes and zooms. With the 35 and 135 L tipping the list

Speaking of, I don't see why a lens like 50-85/1.8 hasn't been created yet. How large would something like that run? Or even a 50-85/1.4-2.0. That'd make a great walkaround lens, IMO.

Mark

Wow. Officially my longest running thread. Glad to see it opened a well thought out discussion. This thread was an attempt to settle a debate with a pro friend who tells everyone they should only shoot primes. I personally use both and on my lens wish list there are both primes and zooms. With the 35 and 135 L tipping the list
Food for thought.

1. I own several primes.

2. I own a few zooms.

3, When a prime will work, I generally pick a prime for the IQ and flexability over a zoom.

4. Your friend is an IDIOT. But anyone with a camera and someone to buy their stuff is a pro. It takes a lot more to be an accomplished photographer than it does to be a pro photographer.

Best thing to do is to get the cheap 50mm 1.8 prime and try it out!

Primes can be fun, crazy depth of field can be fun, running around without the option of a zoom does give you different photos and forces you to change the way you'd normally take those photos.

Ya you can tape down a zoom lens to a prime, but I don't think anyone will do that, its human nature, if you have the option of choice you'll exercise it, if you don't you'll find creative things to do in order to adapt.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back