print scanner

Sawbonz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have several boxes of old prints that I want to scan. They would primarily be used for online and possibly some printing (probably at most 8x10). But also want to preserve the images for longterm. There are many that I would not scan and the negatives probably are disorganized. If you are scanning negatives is there usually a preview that shows you the actual image so you can decide whether to save it or not? I'm assuming that the negative would give a better scan. But I'd like to be able to see the image to make sure focus etc is good before saving. What scanner and software would you recommend? I've been researching and seems like Epson V600 or V700 was best hardware. Not sure I need that level of hardware for my needs though? And for software user friendliness Vuescan? Also what resolution of scanning is needed for above needs?

I have several boxes of old prints that I want to scan. They would primarily be used for online and possibly some printing (probably at most 8x10). But also want to preserve the images for longterm. There are many that I would not scan and the negatives probably are disorganized. If you are scanning negatives is there usually a preview that shows you the actual image so you can decide whether to save it or not?

Most scanner software I have used do this. My two epson scanners definitely come delivered with software that do a quick scan first and allow for adjustments just prior to a full scan which can take time.

I'm assuming that the negative would give a better scan. But I'd like to be able to see the image to make sure focus etc is good before saving. What scanner and software would you recommend? I've been researching and seems like Epson V600 or V700 was best hardware. Not sure I need that level of hardware for my needs though? And for software user friendliness Vuescan? Also what resolution of scanning is needed for above needs?

Highly recommend the V700 as a good option. The software has both an "expert" and "wizard" like workflow for easy use or maximum control. Its pretty straight forward with my only complaint being the negative holders.

Here is my first impression when I purchased mine back in 2008

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/digital-discussion-q/62119-epson-v700-experiences.html

I also here that the V600 is also a good performer.

Hey, I think they are best preserved as a prints on a good quality FB paper.:D But if you gonna do it, I would like to know, what results you gonna come up with, cause scanning b&w photographs is not that easy as it seams.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back