print sizes for digital?

nrois02

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I havent done any printing on the larger size but i was wondering how big i can produce a photo from a nikon d80 shot in raw without being grainy? overall the photo size is going to 32 inches long and about 25 inches wide. its going to be a black and white. also what would be the best file to save it too(i.e. psd,tiff,etc) Thank you!!!

_Austin

You can print as big as a billboard, and it will look just fine, as long as you view it from far enough away. Large prints aren't meant to be looked at from a foot away.

Of course, there are plenty of factors to be considered. If you know you are going to blow it up; use a tripod, mirror lock up, a good quality lens with an optimum aperture etc.

awesome thanks for the info!

I havent done any printing on the larger size but i was wondering how big i can produce a photo from a nikon d80 shot in raw without being grainy? overall the photo size is going to 32 inches long and about 25 inches wide. its going to be a black and white. also what would be the best file to save it too(i.e. psd,tiff,etc) Thank you!!!

_Austin
Save the file in whatever you prefer, and make a copy to save in the format the printer specifies they want.

Mpix.com wants files in the sRGB file space (even B&W), JPEG image file format, and a minumum resolution of 100 ppi.

Most printers want a JPEG file to save disc space.

Last edited:

Debatable. For starters maybe if he got his terminology right and called it ppi like it is used in every major application, but he also really (in my addmittedly very rough skim) doesn't seem to qualify what he considers good / poor in relation to viewing distance, which is exactly the problem.

Sure a 68ppi image looks poor at arms length, but a 288ppi image looks crap if I stick my nose on it and a loupe on my eye too. Conversely a 68ppi image looks pretty damn good from about 2-3 meters away making it perfectly satisfactory for a very large wall print to hang over the fireplace.

To quote Hogan: " Such prints can't be viewed closely without having obvious visual problems. " (the bold is my addition).

I never suggested that this article was gospel -- I think it is an interesting and useful read. Knowing the concepts is important. I would venture to say that you CAN tell the difference between his poor and excellent categories if hung next to each other. This doesn't mean that the print in the poor category is not useable (nor, in my opinion, does he say that).

Most reactions

Back