printing documents issue. problem solved :)

mmaria

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
ok... so...

I googled a lot, tried a lot of what I found but nothing helped... drivers, paper size, background printing... No one I know can't solve this so maybe someone of you here could. Let's hope :)

The problem is...

I need to print some self adhesive labels, 65 in A4... and I can print them perfectly fine on two other computers and two other printers, but when I print the same document on my laptop, HP Pavilion g7, the text shrinks and I get the footer area much higher than it was set.
The up and down margins are both set to 1 cm but when printed I get uper margin as 1 cm, but down margin is almost 4 cm.

It happens not only with labels but with an ordinary text.

It's Microsoft Office 2013 on every computer I mentioned.

I really hope someone will know something about this because I'm running out of options

By 'down margin', do you mean the margin at the bottom of the paper? At the bottom of the page are two separate things - the margin and the footer area. If you have the margin set to 1cm and the footer to 3cm you will end up with a gap of 4cm. If I remember correctly, you can turn off the footer in Office and I suggest that you check this.

Sent from my A1-840 using Tapatalk

ok... so...

I googled a lot, tried a lot of what I found but nothing helped... drivers, paper size, background printing... No one I know can't solve this so maybe someone of you here could. Let's hope :)

The problem is...

I need to print some self adhesive labels, 65 in A4... and I can print them perfectly fine on two other computers and two other printers, but when I print the same document on my laptop, HP Pavilion g7, the text shrinks and I get the footer area much higher than it was set.
The up and down margins are both set to 1 cm but when printed I get uper margin as 1 cm, but down margin is almost 4 cm.

It happens not only with labels but with an ordinary text.

It's Microsoft Office 2013 on every computer I mentioned.

I really hope someone will know something about this because I'm running out of options
Thats a print driver issue.

See if you can change the default printer on the one that does not work. OR.... Print to PDF and print from Acrobat reader or similar.

Microsoft word makes changes to documents depending on what default printer is applied to the computer. Normal issue is default paper size being A4 on one printer and Letter on the other.

Hope that helps.

By 'down margin', do you mean the margin at the bottom of the paper? At the bottom of the page are two separate things - the margin and the footer area. If you have the margin set to 1cm and the footer to 3cm you will end up with a gap of 4cm. If I remember correctly, you can turn off the footer in Office and I suggest that you check this.

Sent from my A1-840 using Tapatalk

English is not my language and I understand that I sounded a bit confusing.

The problem has nothing to do with the footer itself.. I was just trying to explain what happens.

The letters written in Word shrinks and make the bottom area much more bigger than it's set. The same happens when document is saved as PDF.

Last edited:
Thats a print driver issue.

See if you can change the default printer on the one that does not work. OR.... Print to PDF and print from Acrobat reader or similar.

Microsoft word makes changes to documents depending on what default printer is applied to the computer. Normal issue is default paper size being A4 on one printer and Letter on the other.

Hope that helps.
ok... so...

I googled a lot, tried a lot of what I found but nothing helped... drivers, paper size, background printing...
I already mentioned drivers. I deleted every printer, drivers and added them again. Nothing happened.

I checked that "A4 - letter" size options earlier but everything's ok.

Also, when I print as PDF I get the same issue. Letters shrink and make the bottom area much more bigger than it's set.

Those were options I tried right away.

OK try this......
Copy the entire document and paste into notepad or similar. Copy from the TXT file into a new A4 word document. This will remove errant formatting.
Format the doc to choice then print again.

Is the font available on the different computer. If you use an unavailable font the software will use a replacement and shuffle the margins a bit.

OK try this......
Copy the entire document and paste into notepad or similar. Copy from the TXT file into a new A4 word document. This will remove errant formatting.

Is the font available on the different computer. If you use an unavailable font the software will use a replacement and shuffle the margins a bit.
I made the document all over again, restarted computer, word, everything... it's not about formatting...

and also the font is Times New Roman so, not the font issue

Is it possible the print selection on your laptop is set to "landscape" rather than "portrait" or vice versa?

OK try this......

I made the document all over again, restarted computer, word, everything... it's not about formatting...

and also the font is Times New Roman so, not the font issue
If you copy pasted out of the original doc then you would bring the same issues into the new doc. Did you copy / paste into a TXT file and copy / paste from that into the new file ?

Is it possible the print selection on your laptop is set to "landscape" rather than "portrait" or vice versa?
nope

If you copy pasted out of the original doc then you would bring the same issues into the new doc. Did you copy / paste into a TXT file and copy / paste from that into the new file ?

yes, new file

every new document, new text, old document, old texts... everything... looks good on monitor but when printed it looks like I described.
Text shrinks for maybe a point (if the letter size is set to 12 then it shrinks to 11 and so on)
and also PDF... it looks good when opened but looks wrong printed

I spent 8 hours yesterday trying lot and I mean lots of things but so far nothing fixed the trouble

I think 47370 meant pasting the text into notepad (editor), or what ever the program is called in your language. Try clearing the formatting in word (see link below). Then print before applying the formatting you want. Just to see if the border issue has been fixed.

Clear formatting - Word

I think 47370 meant pasting the text into notepad (editor), or what ever the program is called in your language. Try clearing the formatting in word (see link below). Then print before applying the formatting you want. Just to see if the border issue has been fixed.

Clear formatting - Word
I know what he meant and I tried it.

It doesn't mess the formatting of the text and it doesn't mess anything... it just shrinks letters and move the text up so I get bottom area much higher than it's set or than it should be

and I call it notepad too

So if you have the letter size set to 14, it prints at 12 ?

If so, set the size to 16 :)

This might just make another problem as it will assume you now need two pages to print the document..

Cheers, Don

I know what he meant and I tried it.

It doesn't mess the formatting of the text and it doesn't mess anything... it just shrinks letters and move the text up so I get bottom area much higher than it's set or than it should be

and I call it notepad too

Definitely sounds like a driver problem then. Does it happen with other word/pdf documents as well, or just this specific document? Which printer are you using, and which operating system? PCL5, PCL6 or Postscript drivers?

Most reactions

Back