Printing for a Mac noob

Aquarium Dreams

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm really struggling with my new laptop. My advisor insisted that I buy one, and then I couldn't get into the class it was recommended for, so I've been fighting with it all semester. I tried the Mac for Dummies book, but it's way too basic and frustrating.

So here's my problem: I calibrated the monitor automatically, using the settings in the Mac (yeah, I have no idea what I'm doing), but my images always look muddy when they're viewed on a PC and dark when they're printed. I've been keeping an eye on the histogram, but the images are still really washed out compared to what I see on the screen. Does anyone have any idea what settings I should have it on to get an accurate image? Thanks.

How are you calibrating the monitor automatically???

Unless you have a "real" monitor calibrator (Spyder for example), you are probably dealing with a miscalibrated display. Also, make sure you have the correct color profiles for your printer as well.

Applications>System preferences>Display>Color, and then Calibrate LCD monitor. On the "expert mode" it takes you through calibration by sight. Obviously I'm not an expert, and my sight must be flawed, because it's not coming out right. I have prints made at Mpix. One less thing for me to screw up, heh.

I would like an answer too. :wink:

What's your white balance set to?

You will need to turn off the automatic brightness 'adjustor' and try to keep the angle of your screen consistant with editing. One of the best methods (although a pain) is to print an image you have edited and change your screen configurations os it looks the same.. annoying.. but apparently it works. Then everytime you start to edit, pull at the iamge, get the screen angled until it is 'identical' and off you go. Lots of pros use their mac laptops to proof/edit so it can be done! I am still a little lost on it.. but... apparently that is the basic way of oding it.

Apple's website recommends changing your Mac's gamma from 1.8 to 2.2. They come factory shipped with 1.8, but PC's and other video devices use the 2.2 setting. Your monitor will appear a little darker, but it will allow for more accurate brightness levels on your images.

Of course the best suggestion is to get a colour calibration device (eg. Spyder) and properly calibrate your monitor. That will ensure the higest accuracy of your prints when compared to what you see on the monitor. (It's next on my list of purchases, for now I've just changed the gamma - and it really did help)

Jason

I have it set on the native white balance, which I think is "neutral light."

I just changed the gamma, and it looks closer now, thanks!

Then next on my list is to have some prints made. That's a great idea. Shouldn't be too hard to keep a couple reference prints in the laptop bag (even for a scatterbrain like me). Thanks!

Most reactions

Back