Printing off pictures/photoshop problems.. need help

Sinister_kid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well i'm trying to print off some pictures, and i need to have them come out in 8x10 prints, but microsoft printing wizard is cropping them all weird. So I throw them in photoshop, and resize them to 8x10. But, the image's dimensions are locked together and i can't get them to come out to the right dimensions.

So my question is, how can i unlock the image dimensions to where i can change it to whatever i'd like?

Or, is there a easier way to go about printing these off without microsoft cropping them all weird??

Thanks ahead of time!

Edit: It's also in any dimensions i want it to print out in as well, such as 5x7. They get cropped all weird too.

I say just print using windows, select the proper paper, tell it "Full Page Photo", and Check "Fit To Frame". It might crop a little, live with it if you can.

If not, in photoshop (and Elements) From the top menu bar: IMAGE > RESIZE > IMAGE SIZE; Uncheck "Constrain Proportions"; Then Set "Document Size" height & Width to 8 and 10 respectively. This may cause things to look squished or fat though. Save and Print...

Another option is to use the crop tool, and crop a true 8x10 dimension.

Well i'm trying to print off some pictures, and i need to have them come out in 8x10 prints, but microsoft printing wizard is cropping them all weird. So I throw them in photoshop, and resize them to 8x10. But, the image's dimensions are locked together and i can't get them to come out to the right dimensions.

So my question is, how can i unlock the image dimensions to where i can change it to whatever i'd like?

Or, is there a easier way to go about printing these off without microsoft cropping them all weird??

Thanks ahead of time!

Edit: It's also in any dimensions i want it to print out in as well, such as 5x7. They get cropped all weird too.

resizing is NOT the same thing as cropping. In photoshop shop use the crop tool and set the ratios to 8 by 10 and crop away. then print.

What your bumping into is that different standard image sizes have different ASPECT RATIOS.

Most DSLR's make images in a 3:2 aspect ratio The long side of the image is 1.5 times longer than the short side. Put another way, the long side is 3 units long and rhe short side is 2 of the same units long. (Most P&S are 4:3).

An 8x10 is a 5:4 aspect ratio and that's why something always gets cut off or the entire image cannot be just resized to 8x10.

5x7 is yet another aspect ratio, 7:5.

The bottom line is; to print the original image in a differing aspect ratio you have to crop.

AspectRatioChartv2.png

What your bumping into is that different standard image sizes have different ASPECT RATIOS.

Most DSLR's make images in a 3:2 aspect ratio The long side of the image is 1.5 times longer than the short side. Put another way, the long side is 3 units long and rhe short side is 2 of the same units long. (Most P&S are 4:3).

An 8x10 is a 5:4 aspect ratio and that's why something always gets cut off or the entire image cannot be just resized to 8x10.

5x7 is yet another aspect ratio, 7:5.

The bottom line is; to print the original image in a differing aspect ratio you have to crop.

AspectRatioChartv2.png

The really great thing about standards is...
We have so many to choose from!

Most reactions

Back