printing panoramas on canvas from iPhone

noamb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey everybody!

I'm a total amateur newbie. I've taken many panoramic landscape shots over the years with various iPhones (from iPhone 4 to 6). I want to print some of them on canvas for displaying in my home.

Question:

1. How can I determine, based on the photo quality, what physical print size is the maximum I should do?

2. Can you recommend good, cost-effective places that will print on canvas and stretch it on a frame?

Thanks!

Reply to thread

I suggest that you print at least a couple on paper before you invest in canvas to evaluate the quality.
Paper prints are usually done at 250-300 pixels per inch (thus a 3000 pixel wide print would be 10-12 inches wide.)
Canvas can be printed less than that, perhaps 200 pixels/inch, because the canvas hides some potential defects.

To estimate the potential size just find the pixel dimensions of your pan image and divide bb either 300 or 200 to get max dimensions on paper and canvas respectively.

You need to be aware that prints really show defects that are hidden in either small prints or on the screen.
You might post a link to a full sized pano here for on-point advice.

Lew

I suggest that you print at least a couple on paper before you invest in canvas to evaluate the quality.
Paper prints are usually done at 250-300 pixels per inch (thus a 3000 pixel wide print would be 10-12 inches wide.)
Canvas can be printed less than that, perhaps 200 pixels/inch, because the canvas hides some potential defects.

To estimate the potential size just find the pixel dimensions of your pan image and divide bb either 300 or 200 to get max dimensions on paper and canvas respectively.

You need to be aware that prints really show defects that are hidden in either small prints or on the screen.
You might post a link to a full sized pano here for on-point advice.

Lew
Thanks, did not know that about canvas!

Printing on any textured media will tend to hide image defects that could otherwise be seen when printed on a smooth surface.

FWIW, a lot of the inexpensive 'canvas' used to print photos is actually textured plastic.

Most reactions

Back