Printing photos question

confucious

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there...I will try to explain my problem so it makes sense.

Is there a situation in which a high detail photo (landscape and a close up of leaves on rocks with water, taken in raw and ending up at 9 Megs after converted to JPG) would look BAD when printed as an 8 x 10? I got some printed and they look as though there is poor detail, when I KNOW there is enough detail/pixels for up to 20 x 30!!! The shots were taken with tripod and remote shutter trigger, so there is no issue of blur.

Would a shot like this look better at a much larger print size? Am I trying to cram too much into too little space? Is there some rule about pixels, print size, etc?

Thanks for any input!!!

This is not a size issue. It's a print quality issue. Where are you having the prints done?

Am getting them printed at Black's in Ottawa (Canada). It is not as though they look bare (as in not enough pixels to make an adequate image) but rather as if there is too much info so everything is not distinct as it should be...not crisp and delineated.

Maybe it IS the place....

It is the place. At 8x10 why arent you printing yourself Im just curious. Im guessing they look really good on your computer so, I have to ask if your monitir is calibrated? Sometimes your monitor maybe off some too but, still they may have done some of their own tweaking a screwed things up.
I asked about the monitor becuase, I had processed a few pics and, they looked great on the monitor and, when i printed them they came out diffrent. At first I thought my printer was at fault but, then I recalibrated my monitor and, all was well.

Another question - how are you saving the JPGs? What quality? If you save it as low-quality, no number of pixels nor print quality will help you.

It's just a case of the DPI of the printer. I got some 100 photos printed at harvey norman and even though I gave them 300dpi 6x4 photos they came out crap, not going back there. I reprinted about 15 of them at Rabbit Photo and they came out much better with no change.

Am getting them printed at Black's in Ottawa (Canada). It is not as though they look bare (as in not enough pixels to make an adequate image) but rather as if there is too much info so everything is not distinct as it should be...not crisp and delineated.

Maybe it IS the place....

My guess is that they're re-sampling your images before printing. Call them and ask them what their printing workflow is with respect to how they process images before printing. They're probably re- or down-sampling your images. If they're not, then they are doing something else entirely wrong that's not worth your time to figure out and adjust for. If the latter is the case then find yourself a new printer.

I have had pics printed at Walmart and various drugsores in the past andthe color came out very strange (eithr yellow or blue tinted). I then took them to Wolf and the color was great. The printer definitely matters.

Most reactions

Back