Printing Questions

jmtonkin

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all,

I've got a client that would like to order some wallets, but as I've never printed anything in that size, I'm wondering if there are any special considerations that I need to take into account.

Here's my thoughts and concerns:
  1. First, these shots all look sharp at 100%, so it isn't an issue of them being OOF.

2. My print lab (WHCC) does not do any sharpening. I didn't on the proof book (rookie mistake), but I plan on doing some sharpening before I send in the files. Will this be enough to eliminate that issue?

3. As for cropping and resizing, do I need to do that prior to uploading the files? Will any quality be lost if I just upload the full-resolution files into the software and let it crop and compress it? These wallets are 2.5"x3.5". Should I resize the picture to that size before uploading? Should I just crop it at that ratio, and then upload? I've tried searching around the internet, and haven't had much luck with it.
I think that address all my concerns! Any help you have to offer would be much appreciated! Thanks!

They certainly need to be cropped to right aspect ratio (altho most big labs have an online app to use.)
If you let them resize, your sharpening may just disappear.
sooooo.
If I get stuff printed, i always resize to print size, sharpen to taste and then submit.

The aspect ratio for wallet size photos is the same as the aspect ratio for a 5 x 7 print.

AspectRatioChartv2-1.png

They certainly need to be cropped to right aspect ratio (altho most big labs have an online app to use.)
If you let them resize, your sharpening may just disappear.
sooooo.
If I get stuff printed, i always resize to print size, sharpen to taste and then submit.

So, to print a wallet, you would follow these steps?
  1. Resize to 2.5"x3.5"
  2. Sharpen file until it looks good
Do I need to worry about adjusting the resolution or resampling? Right now, the resolution is set to 300ppi and "Resample" is at "Automatic".

Or, would you just crop to a 5x7 ratio and then sharpen? What is the benefit of resizing?

Last edited:
Do not resize.
Just crop the original so the pixel dimensions have the 7:5 aspect ratio.
That means the long side of each photo should be 1.4x longer than the short side, because 7/5 = 1.4.

Then order wallet size from your print lab. The print lab and their device's RIP software will take care of the size.

Printing smaller size images imparts a 'sharpening' effect on images, because the image frame is smaller.

Instead of sharpening, you might instead just add some mid-tone contrast (Clarity).

Last edited:
Here's how I went about it:

1. Click the crop tool in PS.
  2. Select "W x H x Resolution"
  3. I typed in "2.5" x 3.5" x 300ppi".
  4. Sharpened using a high pass filter set to "Linear Light".
  5. Uploaded it into WHCC's software.
Here's to hoping!

It is my understanding that by including a resolution value in the crop options, you actually resized the image.
If you just want to crop to a particular ratio, and NOT resize it, then you would leave the resolution field blank.
I think you will be fine as far as this print job goes because you have resized it to the final print size.

The issue is that you may have now resized your image to be 750pixels x 1050pixels

The issue is that you may have now resized your image to be 750pixels x 1050pixels

Is that too few for this wallet size?
No ... it is exactly perfect for that size.

However, if you HAVE resized the image AND you want to print say a 10 x 14in print @ 300dpi ... you would need a photo 3000 x 4200pixels
A 750 x 1050 pixel photo printed to a 10x14in print would be printed at a resolution of 75dpi - it's going to be unusable

Just go to one of your images and see what the pixel dimensions are (ignore the resolution).
If the photo dimensions are 750 x 1050 pixels then yes you have resized the photo and tossed away pixels.
If the photo dimensions are in the thousands, then you will be able to print these photos at larger sizes without a problem.

Last edited:

Is that too few for this wallet size?
No ... it is exactly perfect for that size.

However, if you HAVE resized the image AND you want to print say a 10 x 14in print @ 300dpi ... you would need a photo 3000 x 4200pixels
A 750 x 1050 pixel photo printed to a 10x14in print would be printed at a resolution of 75dpi - it's going to be unusable

Just go to one of your images and see what the pixel dimensions are (ignore the resolution).
If the photo dimensions are 750 x 1050 pixels then yes you have resized the photo and tossed away pixels.
If the photo dimensions are in the thousands, then you will be able to print these photos at larger sizes without a problem.
That makes sense! I duplicated the file before resizing, so I have the original still to make enlargements!

Yikes hat seems like a lot of work. I just export full size and pull into roes for ordering. I order tons of wallets with my school orders and they always look great.

Yikes hat seems like a lot of work. I just export full size and pull into roes for ordering. I order tons of wallets with my school orders and they always look great.
I ordered a proof book through them before, and when I got it, they seemed really soft. They were sharp on my monitor, but because they were compressed so much, they looked soft in print. At least that's how the people at WHCC explained it to me.

Interesting. How sharp is the digital? I have never had any issues through prodpi. My wallets are tack sharp.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back