Printing to 4x5in paper

JeremyD

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Greetings everyone,

I have a small questions for a photography gig I have soon. My client would like to have me print to 4x5 print paper, and I was wondering if I would save the photos as "full size" or save and re size it to 4x5in and then print.

Any feedback for which option I should use would be awesome. I would assume the save as full size since the photo wouldn't lose quality for printing. However I am not sure if that would crop the photo as it prints. Any information is gladly appreciated! Thanks.

Your Canon T4i makes images that have a 2:3 (4x6, 6x9, 8x12, 16x24) aspect ratio which is more rectangular than 4:5 (4x5, 8x10, 16x20).
So you can't just resize the photos.

You will have to crop some off the long side of every photo you take that you want to print as a 4x5.
In anticipation of that need to crop, you can 'shoot fat' in the camera viewfinder by leaving extra space on the long side of the photo for the crop when you release the shutter.
That way you won't have to crop away parts of the photo you want to keep.

Save the cropped photo at the full size of what is left.
Who will be making the prints? You or a print lab?

AspectRatiocopy.png

Last edited:
I am using the clients printer and their paper, they wan't me to use it to print the photos I am taking of their guests. Thank you very much for this information :)

Most reactions

Back