Printing your own photos.

Brian L

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
brianlinephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone. I read through the topics of each section this forum has and this is the only one that I saw the word printing in.

I am currently using a canon pixma mx300. The pixma mx300 is a all in one photo printer. I have just printed using adobe photo shop and got great results. Well great results from a 149.00 dollar printer when it was new. I would like to find a mid priced printer to use to get some decent prints out of for use with the family and friends. I will take my photography work to thrid parties for good prints.

Could someone recommend a printer that would meet my needs as stated?
Probably a question you will have for me is how big do i want to print. Well nothing bigger then 8 1/2 x 11 paper is fine for family things.

Thanks.

If this is not the write place for this please point me else where and ill wait for the information to start flowing in...

brian,

the darkroom forum is for printing with traditional wet processes.

your question might get more responses in the equipment section.

however, you might look at one of the epson printers , the c88+ does a nice job at that size, or perhaps one of the 200 series. I am not sure what version they are up to , maybe 280, just check on their website.

Your needs are vague! You basically want to print nice pictures. I am not familiar with the Pixma, but if your images are great, what do you really want extra from a new printer?

I did alot of research before I settled on an Epson R2400 nearly 2 years ago. Questions to think of before buying:
  1. You said you wanted to print maximum 8.5" x 11". I would not limit my decision on this. Chances are, once you start printing, you will find yourself wanting 11" x 14", 11" x 17", etc.
  2. Inkjet versus laser is a never ending debate. Inkjet is considered superior for photo printing
  3. Speed of your printer is critical to some, not so critical to others.
  4. Ink. This is crucial. Firstly, I purchased my Epson based on Ultrachrome K3 inks. These are regarded for longevity. Cost of ink should also critical to your decision. Also seperate ink cartridges are more ecenomical because you use every drop from each color. If you purchase a printer with a 2 cartridge system (Black and CMY), you will waste ink, once any of your CMY colors are empty.
  5. Printer, Profile's and Paper Type all play a role in your output.
  6. Single format printers run anywhere from $75 - $800; Wide format printers (usually 13" wide) will be around $300 - $900; Professional Image Printers (capable of 17" or 24" wide) will be anywhere from $2,000 - $4,000). Beyond that is basic lab printers.
  7. Finally, I suppose brand has something to do with it. Epson (my choice), HP, Lexmark, Canon, theres about 40 of them and they all tell you they are the best.
Hope this helps.

You would get a lot more help by posting this in the Digital Photography section. Not kicking you out but this area is more focused on wet-process darkrooms. Funny how someone looking for digital printing found their way to this area. Not funny hah ha, but funny strange.

No, there may be a few here who could help but it's off topic and there are more elsewhere who could probably be of more help.

ann, blank and chris. Thank you for the reply's. I guess i kinda had a brain fart there where it says darkroom. i know darkroom...lol. I don't think i need to post in anywhere else because blank you answered the question I need to cover for getting the printer I want. I am a lot like you in researching before buying. Thank you for the info. i am going to start covering these.

Thanks again guys and sorry I posted in the wrong place and thanks for telling me where to go.

Peace guys and gals.

No worries; I've moved the thread anyway since the info might be useful to other digital users. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back