Prints? Copyright release?

ababysean

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I went to Sam's Club today to pick up some prints of the Studio Shoot I did two months ago...

The lady asks me for the copyright release from the photographer.

oh? I am the photographer.

The lady asks me for a business card.

oh? I am not a business.

So what do you do?

I'm flattered she thought they were so good they were taken by a pro, but is this a common occurrence? Should I get a business card made? or is it because I went to Sam's Club? and they do not know any better?

Here is on of the pictures:

28699_430310283012_590463012_5570543_3321435_n.jpg

this is not unusual altho, not as common in some places.

Funny. *sighs* I await the day someone asks me for my card. :D

EDIT: Btw... this is a beautiful pic and a beautiful girl!

Yes, they had already printed them out but she made a big show about how they are going to get fined 15,000 dollars per print if these are copyrighted....

I had to sign something saying I would pay the fine if they were caught.

Where to get business cards?

In all honesty I dont want to charge anyone, ever. This is a hobby for me, once I start charging it becomes a business and I dont want to work! haha

walmart does that crap all the time. But this is when i had my crappy point and shoot and i would take pics of my daughter at the park/apple orchard/ pumpkin patch

It's a print release or a use license, not a copyright release.

The term copyright release could be construed by a court as meaning you are giving away your copyright, in other words, a copyright transfer.

You know what, I am pretty sure she did say print release.

But when I told her I was the photographer, I am pretty sure she said copyright something?

Are there two different terms, like if I was not the photographer vs if I was?

I doubt a business card is the right answer. It might have just been this one clerk's idea of what would suffice in that situation. For some other clerk, or some other printer, maybe they wont take a business card.

They should have some release form allowing you to assert ownership of the rights to the pictures. Walmart.com actually has such a form here http://photos.walmart.com/photo/messages/51016-0_WM_copyright_EBF1D.pdf.

Logic would suggest Sam's Club would have something similar. Is that what you ended up signing (or something similar)? It is possible that the clerk was simply ignorant of the policy.

Yes that is what I ended up signing, asserting ownership of the pictures.

And see it does say copyright?

PS it was not that exact form because it was printed on their 3 fold handout...

i mean you can always go through other online vendors that does photo printing? I mean its cheap to get business cards really and often places will give you 100 free and it's great to have, especially if you're doing people photo and someone asks you about it, give them a card with your email addy and website and tell them check it out? BTW that's one smokin model you got there! With a great shot!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back