Prints curling up

Atari1977

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
atari1977.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I work in my Highschool's darkroom. Our prints however when they dry have started to curl up when they dry recently. We've tried two different packs of paper so I'm thinking it's a chemical problem. We've made prints that dried flat before so this is a new thing. We print B&W only if that makes any of a difference.

If your prints are curling as they dry you are using fiber based paper and it is doing exactly as it is supposed to do.
The emulsion contracts as it dries and causes it to curl.
Fiber based paper must be dried using a blotters or compressed with a drying system to eliminate the tendency to curl.
In my humble opinion fiber based papers are superior and worth the trouble.
In addition fiber based papers require substantial washing and or a hypo eliminator to make them archival.
Joe

fiber paper will dry flatter if it is drying in an environment with high humidity. The faster it dries the more it tends to curl.

Place your dry prints between interleaving sheets and place some large books on top for awhile, or put them in a drymount press. Unheated, for awhile, that will flatten them out.

As an aside, it is unusal for a beginning class to use fiber paper these days. Years ago , when i started in the darkroom it was the only option.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back