Prints or CD?

I'm not worried about copyright, I worry about Aunt Gertrude printing off a lousy print and my name being associated with it. Or, how many prints will be made from a file for which I don't receive compensation? If you're talking low res CD, well there's just no way around it, you'll only make one sale; CDs and DVDs are way too easy to copy to expect anything else. I agree, I set the price and either the client pays it, or not although the other way around works too. I don't work the wedding / event genre, so I have a less than invested viewpoint, just my feelings on the subject.

I'm not worried about copyright, I worry about Aunt Gertrude printing off a lousy print and my name being associated with it. Or, how many prints will be made from a file for which I don't receive compensation? If you're talking low res CD, well there's just no way around it, you'll only make one sale; CDs and DVDs are way too easy to copy to expect anything else. I agree, I set the price and either the client pays it, or not although the other way around works too. I don't work the wedding / event genre, so I have a less than invested viewpoint, just my feelings on the subject.

In the digital age, more and more people are expecting/wanting their files on disk. print sales are great, but in the end, you are either willing to give a customer what they want, or your not. you always have the option of turning down clients that don't wish to only purchase prints. even if you charge a premium for their hi-res files on CD, you have the exact same problem with aunt Gertrude printing off crappy copies. Even if she got prints, she could still scan it and print it out.
I strive to give a client what they want at a price that makes both of us happy. personally, i would rather take the job, give them a CD, and work it into my package price than turn down the work. I find myself focusing more on getting the next client than I do worrying about whether or not a past client printed off an extra picture or two for their parents that I didn't get paid for. its not always just "one sale" either...often, that client you made happy refers other people to you and can result in many sales.

like i said though, there isn't any particular business model that works for everyone. I just hate turning down work. ;)

The question was, Prints or CDs and I expressed my opinion based on my experience. If my opinion doesn't happen to coincide with yours, it doesn't make me wrong. I understand the clients wanting CDs to make their own prints and I understand we all need to make our own decisions regarding that option. Because I choose, and recommend, not to have my work represented via a Wally World or K-Mart printed book is every bit as valid as your view. Seems as if a big part of getting the next client would be predicated on having your previous work presented in a manner that accurately reflects your work. Of course this is all moot if your photos look good when printed at Wally World.

The question was, Prints or CDs and I expressed my opinion based on my experience. If my opinion doesn't happen to coincide with yours, it doesn't make me wrong. I understand the clients wanting CDs to make their own prints and I understand we all need to make our own decisions regarding that option. Because I choose, and recommend, not to have my work represented via a Wally World or K-Mart printed book is every bit as valid as your view. Seems as if a big part of getting the next client would be predicated on having your previous work presented in a manner that accurately reflects your work. Of course this is all moot if your photos look good when printed at Wally World.

Yea... I never actually said your opinion was wrong in any way shape or form. I was simply doing the same thing you were. Expressing an opinion. I had thought we were simply having a pleasant discussion on differing business models, but i guess you felt otherwise. You can disregard my previous posts then.

Last edited:
I normally use a dropbox folder to share my images with whomever i've shot them for. CD's are costly and time consuming.

If they wish to order prints, then I can do this for them.

I always make them aware that they can go ahead and order prints themselves, however, I always advise them to try and avoid highstreet printers or cheap quality online print shops.

CD's are costly? Time consuming? Last i checked even DVD discs were cheap, and burning images is pretty fast on even a halfway decent computer.

Well as i do most of my editing on a MacMini Server with no CD/DVD drive, It would mean moving them from the MacMini to my Imac on a usb stick or via a dropbox, then burning on there. Time & Effort

The fact of the matter is this. Dropbox is free, CD/DVD's cost money, regardless of how little money it is, it is still money that I can put toward other things.

With a CD it also means that I have to physically give it to whomever I've shot for, or post it. Both of which also cost money, fuel/postage costs.

I don't do photography as a business. I've never been paid for any work I've done, because at the moment, i'm still learning.

I like to waste as little money as possible, as I am not reaping any benefit but experience.

Most reactions

Back