Prints vs. giving a CD

Just keep in mind that you are selling your 'work'....your expertise, your creation. You are not just selling the paper that the photos are printed or, or the CD they are burned or...or even the pixels that make up the digital images.

Also, keep in mind that you can dictate the rights & permissions that go along with the photos. For example, it's usually implied (by the customer at least) that when you give them a disc of images, that they will be able to print them or make digital copies etc. But legally, they can't do that unless you give them permission to do so. aka Copyright.

You can give them a disc, just for their viewing pleasure...but the problem is that most people don't know or care about copyright laws, and will do it anyway. Some of them, even after you explain it to them.

You don't have to give up ownership / moral rights to your images, if you don't want to. So while you may allow them to make copies, they wouldn't be able to use the images for their own gain etc.

It's all about how you position yourself. If you position yourself as an artist and that you are creating custom art for their home, of their family, and you are selling them wall portraits rather than gift prints, they will expect to pay more. Never, never, ever give images on cd. Your lawyer, doctor, accountant wouldn't expect to do work for nothing so why would you?

Kinda late jumping into this, but here's what I do. Keep in mind, I'm just starting to do photography professionally. I also don't have a studio, so we're in the same boat there.

I charge a sitting fee which includes a CD of the images with the contract stating that the images are not to be edited except possibly to be resized to share online. I let the client know that they are free to run to Walmart for prints if they choose to, but I do recommend buying prints through me if they want high quality prints because I use a professional lab. It's one thing to have a 4x6 from CVS or Walmart sitting on their desk at work. It's another story for the blown up print hanging on their living room wall.

I was up in the air for the longest time as to whether or not I wanted to offer the CD, but my deciding factor was my biggest competition in my area. (I live in a small town!) She offers a CD and people like that, so I didn't have too much of a choice. I also made it that my charge for the sitting fee/CD makes it at least somewhat worth my while even if they don't order prints.

I had a couple glasses of wine tonight so I hope this make sense. lol Hope this helps!

I did a photo shoot on a car not too long ago, the guy didn't want prints cuz he was just going to post the pics on his facebook/myspace, so he just gave me 50 bucks for the cd that included 5 slightly edited pictures, took me about 45 minutes to do the shoot and editing so it was fine with me :)

I did a photo shoot on a car not too long ago, the guy didn't want prints cuz he was just going to post the pics on his facebook/myspace, so he just gave me 50 bucks for the cd that included 5 slightly edited pictures, took me about 45 minutes to do the shoot and editing so it was fine with me :)
Sorry to hear you lost out on the money. ;)
The people that make prints, sell paper and ink, they don't sell images. Someone else has to provide them with the images to put on the paper.
It's the same with a disc of photos. Someone has to make the images that get put on the disc.

I have been taking photos since the 6th grade but I am really just getting ready to offer services in a business environment and I have a question. (I don't have a business license yet which is why Im really not charging much right now.

Okay right now, I am offering to my friends or others the opportunity to do a photo shoot for me(engagement, grad,etc) for free to help build my personal portfolio and in return I will give them 2 free 8x10s for their time in helping me.

Then if they like all of the image no a cd with my name on them at the bottom or watermark logo I am charging them $25 per 100 pictures edited.

My concern is since my website is not complete yet and I don't have the resources or equipment to do the printing process for them, do I need to give them a copyright release form to take with them to the stores saying that it is okay for them to print out the images for their use and to load online even though my name is at the bottom of the images?

If so, what does the copyright release form say or do you know of any examples of them because I have several grad shoots coming up within two weeks so I wanted to know before then.

Kinda late jumping into this, but here's what I do. Keep in mind, I'm just starting to do photography professionally. I also don't have a studio, so we're in the same boat there.

I charge a sitting fee which includes a CD of the images with the contract stating that the images are not to be edited except possibly to be resized to share online. I let the client know that they are free to run to Walmart for prints if they choose to, but I do recommend buying prints through me if they want high quality prints because I use a professional lab. It's one thing to have a 4x6 from CVS or Walmart sitting on their desk at work. It's another story for the blown up print hanging on their living room wall.

I was up in the air for the longest time as to whether or not I wanted to offer the CD, but my deciding factor was my biggest competition in my area. (I live in a small town!) She offers a CD and people like that, so I didn't have too much of a choice. I also made it that my charge for the sitting fee/CD makes it at least somewhat worth my while even if they don't order prints.

I had a couple glasses of wine tonight so I hope this make sense. lol Hope this helps!

What you give them is called a Use License, not a copyright release.

Copyright is a bundle of rights that you can license piecemeal.

It's a good idea to include a PDF file of your use license right on the disc.

IMO, it is a big mistake to do portfolio building for free, let alone give away 2 free 8x10's to boot and charge just $0.25 to edit a photo.

A better tactic is to show realistic, business like pricing, but offer a substantial, limited time portfolio building discount.

On of the most difficult things a business can try to do, is raise prices.

Here is a sample print use license:

Print Reproduction and Use License Agreement

© 2010 (Copyright Owners Name) , all rights reserved

All of these images are protected by United States Federal Copyright Law (Title 17 of the Unites States Code), and provisions of the international Berne Convention. This Use License shall be governed by the laws of the State of _________.

This license grants (your client name here) and their immediate family the right to print, or have printed, any of the images on this disc. No other usage rights are granted, nor implied.
Reproductions of the images on this disc are for personal, home, and work place use only and may not be entered in any kind of contest, used for any commercial purpose, nor be placed anywhere on the Internet without written permission from (Your Studio Name).

Images appropriately formatted and sized for Internet use have been provided on a separate disc and are covered by a Use License specific to Internet use.

(Your Studio Name) is not responsible for the quality of any prints not purchased from, (Your Studio Name.)

No waiver by either party of any of the terms or conditions of this license shall be deemed or construed to be a waiver of such term or condition for the future, or of any subsequent breach thereof. Waivers are only applicable when they are written. There will be no verbal waivers to this agreement.

The Photographer hereby warrants that he (or she) is the sole creator of these images and owns all rights granted by law.

Authorized Signature: (Copyright Owners Name) Date: _____________
Client Signature: ___________________________ Date: _____________
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Additional notes:
In addition to a paper copy for the client (and one in your files), you should also put a PDF copy of the license on the disc as an image.
You can add whatever other restrictions or permissions you desire. As an example you could limit the size they do prints, "the right to print, or have printed, any of the images on this disc at a size no larger than 10 inches by 15 inches.”
Or, you could allow Internet use of the images.
One last note: Don't call it a Copyright Release unless you are actually intending to be giving away ownership of the copyright. If you do, the image could legally be interpreted as no longer yours and you would then not be able to use it in any way, without the written permission of the new copyright owner.

Not sure... but it seems like you are saying (in so many words) that you charge according to what the customer is going to do with your images!!

I think it depends on usage. I had someone who was getting on match.com and wanted a couple shots of him to put on there. He paid $100 for three shots, I only gave him web/facebook size images on CD and made him sign a release stating that they were for personal web use only and not for printing. This aside you see more and more people that want stuf for web use(dating sites, Facebook etc.) as opposed to showing on the wall. I know a portrait photographer that gives edited full-res images on CD. He just has a high sitting fee which includes it. This way customers know upfront how much they are going to pay.

P.S. I know everyone is going to ask how much is high so $100/image with a 6 image minimum.

Just sell the cd for another quantity of money, it will be fair for everyone.

I hate selling CDs. Many of my clients love CDs. I have just started offering them, especially for weddings and events. My compromise is to price my CD where I am happy if I never have another sale from the images. I also have a drugstore print and one of my pro lab prints side by side in my studio so they can see and touch the difference.

What if you have them sign a model release in which you specify no editing of the photograph(y) and such? Or does that not apply when they pay for their photos?
That isn't what a model release is for. That is what a use license is for. A use license is often called a print release by retail phototgraphers, or even worse they call it a copyright release.

Portraits: I never sell CDs for portrait sessions - only prints. You don't even need your own web site to do it. Get an account with Pictage or Smugmug. Upload to password-protected client galleries and give the client the link. Sit back and wait. You'll get the print sales.

Weddings: Yes, I sell the CD, but I charge for it in my package rates. I do include the engagement session portraits, which I also charge for on the CD. That is the only time a put portraits on a CD.

I looked at your site and wonder if you really edit each of the 5-800 digital negatives you hand them on a CD?
That seems like a lot of work for the photog.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back